#28 - What makes a "Strong Woman"?

Hi Aunt Agony! 

My question is about what makes a strong woman. 'Cause sometimes, people have it in their mind that a strong woman is always this badass (Pardon my language) spy who stops the baddie and leaves without a moral-of-the-story. 

A strong woman can't cry, is emotionless, tough, sure as heck isn't feminine and acts 'manly'. But I know that none of this is right. Then when I think about it myself, I'm not sure exactly what makes a strong woman, and how do I become one?

Sincerely, a friend you haven't met yet.

::

Hmm. What makes a strong woman, you ask.

Truth is, I have no idea. I don’t think there’s a straight forward answer to that question because it’s probably very subjective – what a strong woman for me may not be the same for another person. There’s no ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ answer for this one, honey.

What I believe is that only you can define what you are. You can decide whether you’re a strong woman or not. Let me give you something to do. What qualities do you think a strong woman would, or should possess? If that’s a bit hard, think of all the women that you look up to as role models, or women you think are ‘strong’. Whether it’s Beyoncé or Hilary Clinton or Angelina Jolie, write down the qualities you admire in each of them. Are they brave? Confident? Outspoken? Kind? Elegant? Then there’s your strong woman.

But, I think that this strength needs to come from inside. No one can tell you that you’re strong; only you can tell yourself that. Furthermore, don’t compare yourself to anyone. You can be strong even though you cry. You can be strong even though you’re nice. You can be a strong woman either way, okay? 

What I think is that a strong woman is someone who knows who she is and is not afraid to show others. Someone who stands for what she believes and is not easily swayed. Someone who has the courage to say things that people are afraid to say. Someone who will be herself regardless of what other people think or say about it. That is my strong woman. 

But I can’t tell you what yours is. You’ve got to define her yourself. Just look in the mirror, and maybe you’ll find the definition you’re looking for .

Good luck with that!

- genie_us