#50 - Clueless about Clothes

Problem child #50! Somebody say milestone xD

::

Dear Agony Aunt

I'm a total tomboy and I have absolutely no clue about clothes, I usually just wear trackies and baggy t-shirts. But everyone, even my tomboy best friend is dressing fashionably now I am that awkward size where adult clothes are too big and kids clothes are too small. Please help.

-Clueless about clothes

::

Heya.

Let's get down to it, shall we?

I will just point out that I was once a solid tomboy ahaha

Anyway Lego

1. No pressure

Like seriously, there's no pressure. I know that being a teenager and having all your friends around you dress a certain typa way all of a sudden can feel extremely pressurizing, and you feel the need to conform, but looking back on my life, much of this so-called 'pressure' was created by myself.

Don't let 'society' get to you. Change your fashion when you feel like changing it, not because everyone is changing theirs. Your friends should appreciate you for you as a person and not judge the way you dress because that's part of you, also. If that's how you are, if it's your identity, don't change just because you feel like there's pressure to.

There never is, unless you create it for yourself.

In my school we usually have stuff like Christmas Dinner where everyone is in formal dress and everything. One thing I've heard too often is people expressing their distaste for dresses but then proceeding to wear one - full make-up included - and blaming something for forcing them to wear it: "my Mum said I have to wear a dress..." Or the worst one, "I hate wearing dresses but I have to because everyone is..."

But to be honest, we all know that's a lie. There's this girl in my class who will go to Christmas Dinner in like jeans and sneakers because that's her style and she'll rock it and I have mad respect for her. And no one judges or anything because we know that's just her. If she were in a dress or something, we'd be able to see that it's not the friend we know and love.

Similarly, you just do you. There's no pressure to dress differently just because. Everyone will love you the same.

2. Ask your friends for tips

Even though there's no pressure, perhaps you genuinely do feel like you want to change your style.

One thing you can do is ask your friends to help you out:

- borrowing their clothes: if you're around the same size as some of your friends and you like something of theirs, why not ask to wear it?

- asking for opinions: when you wear something, do you ask your buddies how you look? Doing so can really help you with how you dress and everything, and maybe even allow for your friends to be honest with you.

Plus, we all have that one creative-ass friend who knows how to spice up every outfit! So don't be afraid to ask what goes with what and whether this should be worn with a silver necklace or whatever.

- shopping together: don't be afraid to ask your friends for help, love. If you want to change your whole wardrobe, ask them to help you. They're sure to give you a whole lot of tips and tell you what looks sexy on you and what looks really bad! And shopping is always a fun way of bonding. (Of course, you have to let your parents know so as to provide you with the money).

In general I just think that you should be honest with them about how you feel and about how you'd like to reform your wardrobe. If they're your real, legit friends, they should be more than happy to help you out!

3. Search for shops

You expressed that you're at that "awkward size where adult clothes are too big and kids clothes are too small." However, collectively, clothes shops do cater for all sizes. You just need to know where to look.

- you can ask your friends where you can find clothes your size as I continue to assume that you all wear similar sizes.

- visit malls and seek shops that are for people your age. For instance, H&M and Forever 21 are more for teenagers so you'd probably find something there. I don't know what shops are in your area, but there may even be local shops that provide stuff for people like you. There's always a shop for everyone.

- the Internet: like srsly they aren't lying when they say Google has everything

- charity shops: these have everything too. And at wayyyy cheaper prices. If you don't mind second hand clothing, take like your best friend and just go HAM trying on and purchasing outfits at a charity shop.

4. Media (magazines, television)

As much as magazines and TV shows and social media is filled with so much bullsh*t, there's one thing you will find plenty of: fashion and style tips. If you'd like some inspiration on how to dress, pick up a copy of Teen Vogue or watch an episode of How Do I Look or follow a cool fashion blogger on Instagram. If you like some styles that you see, try imitating them and adding your own twist. Soon, you'll be able to develop your own sense of style and know when something looks great and when it doesn't look too great. You won't be clueless about clothes no more ;)

5. Fashion and tomboy can work

Who says what you wear already doesn't look cool? Maybe it does. Never for a second think that just because you're not wearing the tightest tights or the highest hi-tops that your fashion sense is non-existent. You never know: maybe someone envies your style!

It's okay to embrace your individuality. You might be giving other people the courage to do the same.

But of course, if you want to mix it up a little sometimes, that's okay too.

You just do you, boo.

Hope I helped!

Lots of love,

genie_us xxx