#47 - To cut the hair or not?

Hello!

I really wanted a piece of advice from you, my Wattpad agony aunt.

Okay, so this may seem way too ridiculous and the problem I'm facing isn't even a problem, but it's making me nervous. Basically, I want to cut my hair. I have really long hair that I trim every month, but it's only the ends. Moreover, I really want to cut it, so it could reach only my shoulders. However, I'm quite afraid that it won't suit me and I'm torn between having my hair cut and not cutting it.

I really need help! Thank you.

::

Lol so I cut my hair last year December so I know your struggle, sister. But right now, I don't regret it at all - my hair's grown back much healthier and it's natural again (I'd permed it) so I'm really happy with it. Anyway, back to you now. Here's what I think:

1. Take the risk!

As much as it's frightening, sometimes it's just good to take the leap and see where it takes you. If anything, that's how great things were discovered - by people closing their eyes and jumping blindly, not knowing where it would lead them but just having faith that it would work out somehow. Okay, okay, I'm getting a bit too deep here.

But I'm serious. This is something you should definitely think about, but not over-think it because you'll just get scared and not do it at all. But you said you want to cut it.

So why not?

2. Talk to your hair stylist

Firstly, I'm saying this in the hope that you'll get it professionally cut...

You should talk to your hairdresser about your thoughts on cutting your hair. Ask them whether they thinks its a good idea; what particular hairstyle they think would suit your face-shape best when it's cut; and so on. Hopefully, talking to the stylist will give you more comfort in your decision to cut your hair, because you'll know they are behind you 100%.

3. You can take baby steps

If you find that you're too scared of taking that jump, how about taking baby steps? Begin by cutting it a little bit more than usual, then see how that makes you feel. Then if you don't mind it, cut a little bit more. Doing it slowly could give you the confidence to get to the length you want.

4. Try a faux-cut

I once watched a YouTube video where this girl was doing a tutorial on how to make your hair look like it's short while it's actually long, using bobby pins and stuff. Unfortunately I don't remember the name of the video, or the girl (or why I was even watching it), but you could look for something similar and try it for yourself.

In this way, you'll be able to see how you'd look with short hair and as a result you could decide whether you like it or not.

(Or, if you're real good with Photoshop, just take a picture of yourself and edit your hair short. It's the same idea. You'll see how you could potentially look).

5. Have a fall-back for when you cut it

When I do something with my hair, I always have a fall-back for when I'm uncomfortable with how it turned out. For instance, when I'd cut my hair short, I'd told myself that if I didn't like it, I'd just braid it until it grew longer. Or when I had longer hair before and it wasn't working when i let it free, I just tied it up into a bun and that always looked fine. Or, when I'd gotten bangs (my hair and I have been through so much sh*t omg) and I didn't like them, I'd just pin them back and they looked pretty alright that way. You see, the thing about hair is that it's flexible - you don't always have to wear it the same way. You can do almost everything with it.

Try and figure out a couple of things that you can do with your hair so that regardless of its length or whatever, you'll still look fine when you do it. For example, does a ponytail suffice?

::

Even when you cut it, you can experiment with your hair a million times to find something that looks good on you. I guarantee you that you will find that hairstyle that you're comfortable with. Does it look nice with a headband, or bows, or with a side-fringe? Look for celebrities that have a similar cut to yours and try and imitate their styles.

And of course, you must remember that hair grows! So even though you're afraid of cutting it, keep in mind that it will always grow long again.

You never know if you never try though!

Just go for it ;)

Lots of love,

- genie_us xx