Chapter 5

"Horikita and who? Brother?" Kiyotaka asked.

"He's the school president, so that's who she wants recognition from. She must have had a lonely childhood." I speculated.

"Catch up? You still haven't realised your own shortcomings. You were a fool to choose this school." Her brother sighed.

"I will reach Class A soon! When I do..." She raised her voice.

"Impossible." He retorted bluntly.

"I will...make it there." Her voice sounded very weak.

"What an unreasonable sister you are..." He pinned her to a wall.

"Sibling bonding?" I looked up at Kiyotaka whose head was above mine since we were poking our heads around the corner so we aren't noticed.

He shrugged when he looked down at me. "My little sister, assigned to D class and I'm the one who bears the shame, leave this school right now." He demanded, she tried to retort but he cut her off. "You have neither the right nor the ability to aim for something higher. You must learn..."

He moved his arm back, and I could see he was going to hurt her so I threw my umbrella distracting him and Kiyotaka was able to grab his wrist in time. "Ayanokoji?! Rekka?!" Suzune yelled.

"Mighty fine brother you have here." I commented as I collected my umbrella.

"You were really going to drive that in, weren't you?" Kiyotaka asked him. "Let her go."

"Stop it." She demanded.

"Who?" I asked.

She looked at me with a fragile look. "I'm glad to see you weren't born with that attitude." I pulled the president off her, and he was shocked by my strength then went to whack me with his arm, but I dodged back and Kiyotaka hit his arm away.

He went to kick Kiyotaka, but he easily dodged. "You both move, do you two practice something?" He asked us.

"Piano and calligraphy." Kiyotaka answered.

"Violin and dying." I twirled my umbrella around on my shoulder.

"Dying? Oh, that's right." He stared at me. "I heard there were two new students who got 50s in every subject on their entrance exams. One fully answered the test while the other always stopped exactly halfway through."

"And you both did the same thing the other day." He gave us a suspicious look. "Was that intentional?"

"Coincidences can be freaky." Kiyotaka mumbled.

"I see things I want to learn, so I get distracted." I explained, and he was staring at me suspiciously. "What making fire looks fun."

"You are both unique people, and I heard you have a condition." He was still staring at me forgetting that I mentioned someone was making a fire on school grounds, so he must have already dealt with it or has a really big interest in us. "Suzune, I'm genuinely surprised to see you have made friends."

"They are not my friends." She retorted.

"Being lonely won't help you get stronger." I informed her.

The guy smirked at me, I wished I didn't talk now that expression was like his, he seems to have a use for me.

"As usual, you have mistaken isolation for independence." He started to walk off. "If you want to ascend to a higher class, struggle with every ounce of strength you have."

After that, we finally got some food from the vending machine and some drinks to. "I guess you both caught me at an awkward time." Suzune spoke up.

"Actually, I was glad to see what a normal girl y-" She glared at Kiyotaka. "I didn't say anything."