Big Brothers

Dalia's POV

How does my brother get everything? How come he gets all the girls? How come he gets to be the star quarterback? How come he gets to get straight A's? And I don't mean the middle child in my family, Dallas.

I mean Dalton!!

He gets everything!

I mean, I guess it could be worse. I could be like Dallas. He's the delinquent child of the family. Literally. He's been in and out of some type of refinement facilities since he was 10. He's 15 now. My oldest brother, Dalton, is 17, and I'm 14.

Not sure why my parents had so many kids if they didn't even want them in the first place. But my entire family is fucked in the head.

My uncle is in prison for another 7 years for molesting some girl. He did it to me, but when I spoke up about it I was called crazy. I'm glad he's in jail and I hope he rots in hell.

My aunt is also nuts in the head. She's been doing drugs since... well, ever since I could remember. She once got me to try them and it put me in the hospital for three weeks.

I was nine.

My dads an abusive drunk and my moms a drug addict like her sister.

Daltons always been there for me. He believed me about my uncle. He was by my side in the hospital when my aunt put her poison in me. He's always defended me in front of my parents.

Dallas never cared.

But to be fair, I didn't care enough to do anything about it. If Dallas hated me, so be it. I didn't care for him either.

But what blows my mind is that we can all have the same evil family and we all turned out different.

Dalton's got everything everyone could ever want at school. He's like the Elvis Presley of New York City High School.

Dallas is the complete opposite and it doesn't bother him whatsoever. It wouldn't shock me if he ran away unexpectedly one day or got put in the slammer for life.

I'm, sadly, a lot more like Dallas than Dalton. I wish I had it all. I wish I had boys chasing after me. I wish I was captain of the cheer team. I wish I wasn't failing half of my classes.

But sadly, that's just not how it is.

Dalton and I look like my mom. Brown hair, blue eyes, pale. Dallas looks more like my dad. Blonde hair, icy blue eyes, defined face.

Dalton and I are easily recognized as siblings. To compare us to Dallas is a stretch. We'd have to be standing right next to each other to even see a small resemblance.

But again, if I had nothing to do with Dallas, I'd be fine with it. I wish I was more like Dalton, anyways.

I walked into school and started talking to my few friends. I had Riley and Lottie. Riley and I were closer by far. Lottie kinda just hangs out with us for the hell of it. Not sure why. She's real pretty. She could hang out with anyone. Riley and I have more the same life.

We were all talking and we see the gang of the tough teenagers of New York walk by us with Dallas right in front of them all leading them down the hallway.

I rolled my eyes at his cockiness. But then you see Dalton sprinting down the hallway with the rest of the football team behind him.

"NEW YORK CITY HIGH! WHO'S READY FOR THIS WEEKS PLAYOFF GAME?" Dalton yelled.

There was a loud "woo" from the crowd of teenagers. We've got one of the best teams in the state. Of course we made it to playoffs.

I cheered solely for the purpose of Dalton. The rest of the football team didn't effect me.

I grinned and looked back at Riley and Lottie. I caught a glimpse of Dallas in the corner with his little biker gang, completely unbothered by the loud cheers in the hallway and carried on a conversation of his own.

But that's just how it is. As much as I love Dalton, I'd never go up to him at school. I wouldn't do it to Dallas either. And they wouldn't do it to me.

It's always just how we've done things. Always has been, always will be.

School has always been a number one priority for Dalton. Even before football, which shocked me. He does well in these playoff games, he's got a full scholarship to any place he wants without a doubt.

For Dallas and I, it was the complete opposite. School was more of a last priority for us. I know that if I wanted to be more like Dalton and less of Dally, I'd have to try in school. But I never did see a point in doing something that isn't gonna help me in a few years from now in the real world.

Like the fucking Pythagorean Theorem.

But I know how to survive on my own and that's all I'll ever need in life.

School dragged on as usual. I walked home by myself, also as usual. Dalton stayed after school till almost 9 at night practicing football. And who knows where the hell Dallas is. Probably some gang fight. They both normally got home around 9:45 though.

That gave me 6 hours and 45 minutes alone at my house.

I would never expect someone to walk with me to my house, though. Since we have five people in our family, we don't live downtown. Too expensive for my parents low-income job. So we live in a sketchy apartment building east of the school.

Nobody would dare set foot over here if they didn't have to.

But it's all I've ever known. I don't worry about this stuff anymore. If someone really did wanna beat me up, I could probably take them anyway.

But hey, it's normal to me and that's all I'll probably ever know.