Brotherly Love

Dalia's POV

I felt like I was in a movie. But not the good one. I was sitting all by myself, alone, in a creepy part of New York City. It had just started to rain and blood stained the side of my mouth.

The only thing that would make this even more cliche is if Sodapop appeared. But it's impossible for that to happen.

Why can't I have a happy ending?

"Dalia!" Someone yelled.

I ignored it. I was too dazed and confused to make a voice out. It was a male, but that's all I could get.

"Dalia!" Someone else yelled.

It was slightly different from the first voice. I still couldn't tell who it was. My mind was playing tricks on me.

"Look, we've searched everywhere. She could be halfway across the country by now." The second voice said.

Was it Dallas?

Whoever it was, was standing right around the corner. I could hear it clear as day.

"We haven't even made it to mom and dads apartment yet. She could be there for all we know."

"I dunno, man. I feel like I know her well enough to know she would leave if she wanted to. Hell, for all we know, she could have gotten on a train an hour ago."

That was definitely Dallas.

There was a silence between them for a second. "Five more minutes. If we don't find her, we'll go back to the school."

I think that was Dalton.

I didn't wanna see them. I wanted to keep crying. I wanted to cry until I couldn't anymore.

I continued to sit there and listen to Dallas and Dalton's conversation. Dalton was talking to Dally and all of a sudden it stopped. Their conversation ended in the middle of a word.

I didn't think much of it until I noticed someone sit next to me. Then someone on the other side.

"You know it's raining, right?" Dallas asked.

I ignored him.

"You ok?" Dalton asked.

I could tell none of them were really sure what to do. I mean, I know them well enough to know that they don't care about anything that has to do with emotions.

I tried to stop crying, but the stinging in my mouth made it hard. I barely say up and I started coughing. A ball of blood came out of my mouth and fell on my leg.

I, angrily, brushed it off my leg and leaned against the wall, crossing my arms.

"Do you need to go to a doctor?" Dalton asked.

"I'll be fine." I said angrily.

"Look, I'm sorry. You're mad."

"What is everyone's deal with sorry? I don't fucking care if you're sorry!" I yelled at Dalton. I stood up and faced them. "Is everything gonna be better now? Is every bit of pain, anger, and bitterness all gonna go away now? Is this just supposed to make me forget that you disappeared and left me by myself? Cause it doesn't! Dalton, this isn't some movie where one word fixes everything! Welcome to the real world! Where you actually have to earn forgiveness, cause one fucking word doesn't just make it all go away!"

"Dalia, sit down." Dallas said.

"No! And don't try and play big brother now, cause you aren't! You've never been one, and you never will be one!"

Dallas rolled his eyes, and even through my blurred vision, it was obvious.

"Can you just sit down for one minute?" Dalton asked.

I was gonna storm off, but despite what I'd normally do, I sat in between them.

I didn't say anything.

"I mean... I guess I've really got nothing... sorry's  always worked for me." Dalton mumbled.

"Well, I don't care if you hate it or not, sorry for punching ya in the face." Dallas said.

His sarcasm always made me laugh. I couldn't help but let out a grin.

"Gotcha." Dallas said. He nudged me a bit and I laughed.

"You're coughing up blood. Are you sure you're ok?" Dalton asked.

"Relax. I'm fine. It's nothing I can't handle."

"Jesus Christ..." He mumbled. "But, if it makes you feel any better, an entire school hates me except for two people."

"Who are the two people?" I asked, out of curiosity.

"Grace and Coach Fenner."

"Really?" I asked. "I thought out of anyone, those two would be the most disappointed." Grace was a mess when Dalton disappeared. She loved him more than anything. And Coach Fenner... well... he lost more than just his quarterback.

"Exactly. They're disappointed. They're not angry. Grace was crying and I tried to comfort her, but her friend pulled her away. Coach Fenner asked me to come over and all he said was "I'm very disappointed in you.'"

I kinda felt bad now. The two people Dalton actually probably cared about more than himself had to do that to him.

"But, it's my fault. I couldn't take it anymore. I really had no real reason to leave. I just didn't wanna do it anymore."

I never knew Dalton could let anything get to him. He kinda described how I feel right now. Maybe he and I are more alike than I thought.

"So, maybe sorry won't fix anything. But I am. And when you're ready to forgive me, I'll be waiting." Dalton said, sincerely.

Well, shit. Now I do feel bad. Great.

I couldn't help myself. I pulled Dalton into a hug and smiled a bit. He hugged me back.

He pulled apart for a quick second and looked behind me. Dallas was sitting next to us looking away. "Don't be like that." Dalton said.

"I'm not being like anything." Dallas said, trying to act like the bitch he was.

"Aww, come on." Dalton said, playfully.

Dalton reached over me and grabbed Dallas. Dally tried to leave, but Dalton got him and I was smushed in between them.

Dalton and I laughed while Dallas groaned. I knew, deep down, he liked it.

"Alright, alright. That's enough. Come on, let's get outta here." Dallas said.

We all stood up and I followed behind them to wherever the hell we were going.