Where is he?

Dalia's POV

I woke up and yawned as I slapped my alarm clock to get it to shut up. I quickly got dressed and went to the kitchen.

I noticed that it was quiet in my house, which was rare.

It meant mom and dad weren't home. Either that or they were passed out. They were normally awake by the time I got up.

But it also meant Dallas and Dalton weren't home. Dalton always walks out of his room the same time I did. We have similar routines in the morning unless he decides to go to school early to practice football.

I could care less of where Dallas was. He could be half dead for all I care.

Riley asked me one time if it bothered me that he doesn't give a shit about me. I said no at the time, but there's a part of me that kinda wishes he did.

But I've heard you should treat people the way you want to be treated. So if Dallas acts like I don't exist and doesn't care about me, I'll just treat him the same.

I looked around and Daltons backpack and football bag wasn't there. I guess that meant he was already at school. I mean, he's obsessed with practicing. And especially now that the first playoff game is today.

I got ready in the cold and quiet house and walked to school. I met my friends and I went to first hour.

"Dallas Winston and Dalia Winston. Please report to the principals office. Dallas Winston and Dalia Winston please report to the principals office."

The speaker clicked off and I slammed my head against the desk.

I quickly picked up my stuff, cursing as I walked out of the classroom. I turned the corner and Dallas was walking next to me. I was surprised he even showed up to school today. Normally when he's gone before I wake up he doesn't even show. At least not that I know of.

"What did you do?!" I yelled.

"I didn't do shit. What did you do?"

"I didn't do shit." I said, mocking him.

I rolled my eyes as we walked in silence. It was obvious we were both mad. It got us out of school for a second, but Mr. Reynolds — our principal— isn't fond of Dallas and I

We walked into the office and the lady opened the door for us. He told us to take a seat and we both cooperated.

We sat in silence for a second, waiting for him to speak up, but he said nothing. I was confused as to why he wanted us in here if he wasn't gonna say anything.

I heard a slam behind me and we both turned around. The football coach was standing in front of the door, his fists clenched in a hall.

"What the HELL did you two do to my star football player?!" He snapped.

"Coach Fender, let's calm down."

"I'm not gonna calm down! This is the most important game of his life and mine and he never showed up to practice or school!" He yelled, slamming his fist into the wall.

"Are you talking about Dalton?" I asked.

"YES I'm talking about Dalton!" He yelled like I was dumb.

I rolled my eyes. The coach stood in front of us. Dallas spoke up. "How are we supposed to know where he is?" He snapped.

"Cause you live with him! What was he doing this morning?"

Instead of Dallas getting mad and getting himself suspended or something, I spoke up. "Look, if he wants to go practice early in the morning, he's gone before I'm even awake. So I got up this morning and his stuff was already gone. I've got nothing."

The coach and the principal looked at Dallas. "I was sleeping before she woke up so how am I supposed to know what happened before?" Dallas said.

Weird. I didn't even realize he was home. Normally I knew when my family was home. I had a weird feeling.

"How the hell do you not know where he is? He's your family!" Coach Fenner snapped. "What kind of siblings are you?"

"Oh, shut up." Dallas said, speaking up.

"Yeah," I continued. "You expect us to wake up an hour before he have to just to make sure my brother does what he's feels like doing?"

"You should be making sure he's safe! He's a big deal around here, unlike you two." Coach Fenner said.

"Calm down." Principal Reynolds said.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Dallas yelled. "Just 'cause we don't play football doesn't mean we're useless!"

"I don't wanna hear it from you! I don't need some delinquent telling me how I think things should go." Coach Fenner yelled.

Dallas stood up and got up in his face. "You better watch your mouth." He mumbled.

"Shut up!" I yelled. "Dalton wouldn't miss the game! So calm the hell down!" I snapped.

"I won't be talked to like that by some teenage girl! You better watch your mouth and learn your place!" Coach Fenner yelled.

My anger took the best of me and I hit him over the head with my math book that was hanging out of my bag. It wasn't hard enough to really hurt him. Just sting for a second.

"Everybody calm down!" Principal Reynolds yelled.

Nobody listened. Dallas and I were in a full out verbal war against Coach Fenner.

Many harsh words were exchanged. Hell, you woulda thought we were from Jersey with the way we were talking.

"You two are as useless as your crazy parents!" Coach Fenner yelled.

Dallas and I both went silent. People knew our parents were lousy. But nobody would ever dare say it or mention it out loud. Especially when nobody knew all the details.

"Come on. We're done." Dallas said. He grabbed my wrist and pulled me out the door.

"Fuck you." I mouthed to Coach Fenner, as I grabbed my backpack and slammed the door behind me, without a care in the world if it would get me in trouble.

Dallas pulled me around the corner and let go of me, stopping in front of me. "You really don't know where the hell Dalton is?"

"No! I just said I didn't know!" I snapped.

"I didn't think you meant it!" He yelled.

"Then why did you defend me?" I asked, angrily.

"Cause your my sister and that's what I do!" He yelled back, in a second.

It took me by surprise but I would never let it show. Did Dallas maybe, possibly, slightly care about me?

"Whatever. Screw you." I mumbled.

"Fuck you." He snapped back.

Then we both went our separate ways.