Questions

Dalia's POV

I got off the train and part of me didn't wanna go back to New York just because i didn't wanna go on a train ride back up there.

I wondered where Dallas was. Did I really wanna see him?

I wasn't sure. My mind was playing tricks on me.

I walked up to the lady at the ticket booth. "Hey, again!" She said with her same cheery smile.

"Hi." I said with a small grin. "When's the next train to New York leave?" I asked trying to get to the point.

She looked down. "Lucky for you, the train arrives tomorrow at 5 AM."

I wasn't sure how that was lucky. I wanted to be gone now. I guess it beats three weeks and I didn't just miss it.

"Alright. I'll buy the ticket." I said pulling out a couple coins. She gave me the ticket and told me to have a good day.

I limped out of the train station with the damn crutches and thought about what I was gonna do next.

I did wanna find out what happened to Johnny and see what's going on with him right now. If all the details I heard were correct and it really was out of self defense, he deserves to be set free. And I hope Ponyboy and his brothers end up together.

If anything, Dally's gonna be the one to get in trouble. He helped them run away, for Christ's sake.

I walked around for a bit and I found myself in a smaller town area past the park. It was sweet and small. It wasn't like downtown, Tulsa. It was more like... the outskirts of Windrixville. Except this had more buildings and more people near by. I saw a bunch of cars around so at least it wasn't a ghost town.

But I mean... if I'm only gonna be here for one more day, I might as well treat myself to some ice cream.

I walked in the small shop on the corner and got a small vanilla ice cream cone. It was delicious and cost almost nothing. I wish everything back in New York was this cheap.

I sat down on the bench against the wall and looked around. It was a nice day out.

"Hey!" Someone called out.

I looked up to see who someone was talking to considering I was the only one here. To my surprise, they were actually talking to me. It was Sodapop.

"Hi." I said licking the ice cream cone.

Ponyboy and two other guys I didn't recognize were next to him.

"I saw about ya in the paper. I was worried you weren't gonna be ok." Sodapop said.

"You were worried about me?" I asked standing up with a grin.

"Yeah. It said nobody really knew much. Your background, your condition-"

Ponyboy cut him off. "Your name."

I laughed. "Yeah, well when you're new to town and don't know anybody and nobody knows you, it's bound to happen." I said taking another lick of the ice cream.

"So... what is your name?" The one with the tattoo asked.

"That's for me to know and for you to wonder." I said throwing the napkin away.

"Shouldn't you be using the crutches?" The one with the orange Mickey Mouse shirt asked.

"I should be. But I can walk three feet to a garbage can. Plus, I can walk on it now for the most part. I just can run or do any sports 'n stuff on it."

I picked them up and started walking. "Wait, I have a lot of questions for ya." Ponyboy asked.

"Lay it on me."

"What's your name?" He asked.

"Next." I mumbled not making eye contact with him.

"How did you know Johnny and I's name?" He asked quickly.

"Sodapop told me."

"I told you their names! You just happened to guess it was them?" Sodapop asked, still clearly confused.

"I know how to connect the dots. Once you said you knew Dallas, I figured you'd be close to him and I just took a guess. That's why I said "this might be a stretch.'"

"So how do ya know Dally?"

"We both lived in New York City." I said, keeping it vague.

"Are you his fling or something?" Ponyboy asked.

"Woah, woah, woah. Absolutely not. We go to the same school. Calm down." I said with a laugh. I rolled my eyes playfully after his comment.

"Dally seems to know ya real well. And you seem to know him. So if you're just classmates... this isn't adding up..." Sodapop said getting lost in his thoughts.

"Enough about Dallas!" I snapped.

"Alright... so why did you come down here?" The one with the tattoo asked.

"What's your guys' names?" I asked.

"I'm Steve and that's Two-Bit." The one with the tattoo said. Or- Steve I guess.

So everyone has these really cool, unique names and then there's Steve. Good to know.

"So what's your name?" Two-Bit asked.

I rolled my eyes. I didn't want to answer. I didn't care to have these people know me. I want to be that mysterious girl in the paper that nobody knows about, if I'm being real here. "Dee." I finally said.

"Dee? That's it?" Steve asked.

"Mhmm." I muttered. I didn't think they believed me, but I didn't really care, either. After tomorrow I'd never see them again, anyway.

"So... I feel like you're not gonna tell us why you came down here." Sodapop said.

"You are correct." I said with a small smile.

"Well, how about ya come back to our house." Sodapop said, referring to his and Ponyboy's house.

I thought for a second. "Sure." I said dully. Beats wandering around the city aimlessly for hours. Might as well have some sort of fun.

I just have to get through a day. Then I'm going home and everything's gonna go back to how it used to be.

Psh. God, who am I kidding?

This is gonna be the longest day of my life.