Drive In

Dalia's POV

I left my crutches at the house, but my pride was too big to go back in and get them. Instead, I limped around the city and just did what a normal person might do.

I went to the park for a bit and walked around. Everyone was so nice. So many people waved to me and smiled at me. A few people even said hi and one guy let me pet his dog.

But I couldn't tell if people were just genuinely nice or because I was in the paper.

After I went to the park I decided to go downtown and eat something. I missed lunch but I still had time for dinner.

After that, the sun was starting to set and I was out of things to do. I didn't really know what it was like to live a normal life.

"Excuse me." I asked some random person along the street.

I really really hoped everyone here was nice. 

"Hey! How can I help ya?" The guy asked.

By the way he was speaking, I think this guy might help me out. "I was just wondering, what do people do for fun at this time of night? I'm from outta town and I'm just visiting for a few days."

He took his hat off. "My kids like to go down to the drive in, just down the road from here." He said pointing.

"Drive in? Is that like- uhh..." I've heard of it before. They have 'em back in New York, but I couldn't really remember what it was. I've never been to one.

"It's like a movie theater but outside."

"Oh! Yeah. Sorry, my mind just blanked for a second. You said it was down the street?" I asked.

"Mhmm. You'll head straight down and turn right once you can't go straight anymore. You'll see it pretty quickly after that." He said.

"Thank you." I said with a smile.

"Anytime. Enjoy your night."

The man continued to walk and I went the opposite way of him. I kept repeating the word "right" in my head so that I didn't make the same mistake as last time and find myself in a burning building.

I made it to the end of the street and turned right. I was in a neighborhood like where Sodapop, Ponyboy, and Darrel live. But I eventually saw the screen.

I was pretty proud of myself for making it this far. Especially when my leg was killing me.

I was gonna walk all the way down and just pay to get in, but why would I do that when there was a hole in the fence cut out in the perfect shape for me to sneak in?

I walked along the edge of the fence and took a seat towards the back. I didn't know which movie was playing, but it looked somewhat interesting.

I didn't believe myself.

I never found movies that interesting. Maybe that's why I've never been to a drive in before. I never really cared for a movie.

"Hey." Someone said from behind me. "Mind if I sit here?"

I looked behind me to see Sodapop. "Be my guest." I said with a small grin.

"You alright after earlier?" He asked.

"I'm fine. Sorry for blowing up on y'all like that. I'm not really used to having people show interest in me." I said with a laugh. "But I am curious, why did y'all seem so bummed when I said I was leaving?" I asked.

He thought for a second. "Well... you saved my brother and you saved our friend. Yeah, you saved all those kids and that's great, but I didn't know them. Johnny and Ponyboy could have died in there. I don't know what I would have done if Pony died. So I guess I just found it shocking that you were leaving. I kinda wanted to know why you did it. You seem to have a great life back home. So why would you put yourself in a situation like that?" He asked.

It shocked me how long of an answer he had. I didn't see it coming. I thought he was gonna respond with some form of  "I don't know." But he really did have a good explanation.

"Well... to be honest..." I stopped. I guess I should just tell him. Even if I really don't want to. "There really isn't much for me back home. I hate it there."

"So why do ya wanna go back?" He asked, cutting me off.

Normally I would have been mad about him interrupting me, but for some reason, I just wasn't this time.

"I-"

Y'know what?

I guess I could tell one person.

As long as he doesn't tell anyone.

"Ok. Look, this is gonna be a long story. Otherwise it won't make any sense."

"Does it have something to do with Dallas?" He asked, nervously.

"Yeah... I mean, the whole reason I'm down here is cause of him." I mumbled.

"If you don't wanna tell me, it's fine. I won't barge into your business. I know we don't know each other that well."

I thought for a second. "Y'know, out of all the people I've ever met in my life, you would be the person I would wanna tell." I said refusing to make eye contact.

He didn't say anything which made me nervous. I spoke up again.

"Did you drive here?" I asked.

"Yeah. Why?"

I stood up. "Come on. Let's get outta here. I don't really care for movies anyway." I said looking around.

"Look, really, it's ok-"

Now it was my turn to cut him off. "I'm leaving whether you're coming or not. So you and I can drive around or I'll walk and find somewhere random to stay tonight." I said with a grin.

He smiled. "Alright, alright. I'm coming."

I laughed as we walked back to the lot. We got in his car and he got in the drivers seat.

Well... here goes nothing.