Fire

Dalia's POV

Once I realized the building was on fire, I couldn't think about anything else anymore. I could think about how I was gonna die up here anymore.

I ran up to it as fast as I could. Once I got closer, I realized that it wasn't just a group of people. It was a group of kids! Little kids, too!

There were two adults that were trying to gather most of the kids. I figured they were teachers of some sort and those kids are their students.

I stopped a little bit away from the church. Just far enough so I could see the whole thing. How did a fire start up here when there's nobody here?!

I continued running up to the two adults.

"What's going on?" I asked running up behind the guy. He was a bit on the heavier side so it took him a second to turn around.

"What are you doing here?" He asked.

"I was walking up here and I noticed the fire so I came to make sure everyone was ok!" I yelled, trying to get him to hear me over the screaming kids.

"Jerry! The kids! We're missing some!" The lady yelled.

"Hold on, Grace." He said to her. He looked at me. "Look, just stay back. We've got this under control." He said.

I ignored everything he just said to me in those five seconds. "There are kids missing?" I mumbled.

"Speak up!" The guy yelled.

I heard a scream come from the building.

There are kids in that building!

The guy named 'Jerry' started to talk to me but I ignored him and ran up to the door. The fire already made me nervous and I wasn't even inside yet.

I ran around back, trying to find a way to get inside but the doors and windows were all blocked off.

I went up to the weakest looking pieces of wood and put my hands together. I used my elbow to break the wood. It caused my elbow to bleed a bit but I barely noticed.

All that mattered was making sure these kids were ok.

I walked around the edges of the building and listened for screams from the kids.

I found a cluster of kids. It sounded like there were screams coming from another part of the building but I couldn't just walk past these kids either. There were only two of them.

I got on the floor and put my jacket over my mouth so I didn't inhale anything.

I kicked my foot through the bottom of the church and the wood easily broke.

"Crawl through here!" I yelled to the kids.

The girl crawled out first and ran up to the teachers. The boy went out next and did the same. I made sure they were safe before I moved onto the next area of the church.

I ran through this door-like area and I saw a lot of kids on the other side of the church. But there were these two boys. They were really tall. There's no way in hell they were five. They actually around looked my age, give or take a couple years.

I ran around the edges of the church and made my way over. I stopped halfway and I grabbed a little boy and helped him crawl through the small opening in the church window. He was barely able to make it through. I went to turn and there was someone right in front of me.

I yelped a bit before I realized it was the kid my age. "Why are you in here?" I yelled.

"Helpin' these kids! What about you?" The blonde one asked.

"Same as you." I mumbled.

"Do ya guys know Dallas Winston?" I asked.

They both looked at each other.

"Y-Yeah..." The one with a scar yelled.

"This might be a stretch, but are you two... uhh... Ponyboy and Johnny?" They both looked at each other, nervously.

I took that as a yes.

They were about to answer but I pushed them back. They both stumbled a bit as a piece of wood fell between us.

There was no way I was getting around this way anymore.

"Go to the room behind you! There's still a few kids in there!" I yelled.

They both turned around and I went around the other side of the church to get the kid they hadn't gotten out yet.

I put my jacket back over my face and pulled the kid along with me.

We were walking and another piece of wood fell in front of us.

I screamed and turned back around.

"Crawl through this space!" I yelled to the kid.

They quickly listened and ran around to the two adults.

I caught up to Ponyboy and Johnny and they got the last of the kids out.

"We gotta get outta here!" The blonde yelled. I assumed it was Ponyboy since he looked a lot like Sodapop.

"Crawl through this space right here!" I yelled to them. "We can make it bigger if we need to!" I yelled.

"Go on, Ponyboy!" Johnny yelled.

Ponyboy hesitantly looked at it and crawled through. Just as Johnny bent down to go through, it started to sink in and it caught on fire.

"FUCK!" I yelled.

I looked around. We were running out of time.

We both scanned the room and there was nothing. "Hurry! Get back to the main room!" I yelled.

We ran into the main room and there was one small spot in the corner of the room. I wasn't sure if we were even gonna make it in time.

"Our best bet is to run for it!" I yelled.

"Too late! Look!"

Fire took over the small patch in the wall.

I started to freak out. I really was gonna die.

We were running out of oxygen and places to get out through.

We both consecutively decided to go to the third, and final room. This was our last hope. As we were running, I felt a blaze of fire burn my arm.

I screamed and brushed the flame off.

"Fuck!" I yelled.

There was nothing.

This was it.

We're done for.