:::Afterdeath::: Where there's Genocide... - Reapember 6: Genocide(Hurt/Comfort)

A/N: This is gonna be a short hurt/comfort fic, because as much as I like to torture Geno sometimes, he still deserves love and comfort. 

And this was my quick and sketchy drawing with some light color overlay:

***

...Death always follows.

At a certain point, Geno had just gotten used to it though: The presence of Death was a welcomed one to the glitched skeleton, whether it was simply because of the lack of anything better or because the eerie chill was a comfort to him now.

Regardless, the death god's unexpectedly uncharacteristic flirtation and affections were a nice change of pace to Geno, and a nice distraction to the reality of his situation. He was still trapped in his own purgatory, left to witness the failed timelines ridden with murder. Ironically, since Reaper began to make his more regular visits to the save screen, Geno had less time to dwell on the hell he resides in, helplessly watching his family and friends fall to a cruel human's hands through a screen in the void. When Reaper was there, he didn't need to watch the current timeline, he didn't even need to think about how helpless he felt watching it from an unreachable pocket in the multiverse.

Unfortunately for the smaller skeleton Reaper wasn't there, and the silence left his self-hatred and regrets to fester in his mind. He hated that he was rendered so pathetically broken without the presence of the god. Before he met Reaper, that state of mind was simply a constant, after so long he forgot what it was like to not be drowning in his thoughts, but having now tasted a blissful calm in his mind with Reaper's light hearted distractions, he can't bear being left alone.

Foolishly, he glanced to where the window to his universe would be, activating it to take a glance at the goings on, maybe hoping it could take his mind away from his aching thoughts. By his horrible luck, there was silence in his timeline: disgustingly eerie silence that only another genocide timeline could harbor. He's cry at the sight if he hadn't already seen it time and time again. It was until he saw the view shift through Snowdin and to the grizzly scene he knew would soon play out when he saw the tall red scarfed skeleton standing in front of the fallen human.

He almost couldn't watch, and yet a horrible part of his mind forced him to continue, a deeply rooted resentment enacting a punishment upon himself. Looking away was a mercy he convinced himself he didn't deserve: he was to blame therefore he was to continue watching. And so it went on: first his brother, and then the other monsters he knew as friends, one after the other fell to the blade of a ruthless human. Nothing has changed.

***

A flicker of magic blipped in the voided space of the safe screen, with a portal forming to allow for the god of death to float through without a care in the world. His work was more or less done for the time being, allotting him a moment of blissful quiet that he could spend with his darling Geno. He hardly needed to call to the other when he felt a weight lean into him, a small white and red bundle throwing himself into the god's arms without a second thought. Reaper found it quite amusing how unapologetically clingy Geno was, and it was downright adorable out of context as he wrapped his own arms around the smaller skeleton.

"Aww, what's wrong, love? I didn't think I was gone that long~" Reaper couldn't resist the light tease with the hopes of seeing the normal flushed denial from his lover but halted at the sound of a choked sob, taking quick notice of how Geno's body shook in an alarming way. Immediately, this turned the god's attitude to that of concern, his hold tightening as he tried to brace his crying partner, hoping to entice an explanation out of him with silent comfort.

"I looked... I didn't want to but I looked at the screen, and I saw it all over again," Reaper was stunned, but he is all too familiar with this turn of event, carefully lowering himself so the two were kneeling on the ground. Geno clung onto Reaper's cloak like a desperate lifeline as his broken thoughts clouded his mind in a dense air of grief and agony, finding breathing a chore, not paying much mind to the gentle hand slowly stroking his back to ease his body in the slightest.

"Ssh, it's okay, I know it's hard, love, but it'll go back, it always does," Reaper spoke with such stillness and calm, that is aided in settling the smaller slightly, his shoulders relaxing but only marginally. Ebony feather soon drew out from the god's back as he wrapped the smaller up in his wings like a weighted blanket, having found it helped in time similar to this.

"I-i know... I just... I've seen my brother be murdered so many times now. It never gets easier. It hurts so much knowing I can't do anything!"

"You did everything you could, angel, you already fought so hard. You can't keep torturing yourself with your regrets.Trust that eventually it will get better, and that your family will finally be free,"

"I don't know..."

"This isn't your burden to carry anymore, sweetheart," Geno grew quiet in the stillness around them, his breath still shaky and tears were still pooling in his socket, although he felt more at ease with the god comfortably wrapped around him.

"You were there right? Just now?" Geno sniffed quietly as he broke the silence, causing Reaper to stiffen at the abrupt question.

"I- yes, it was my job to handle that timeline, it usually is," The answer was expected, and Geno simply nodded, not really knowing how that information helps him, but it still put an aching thought in his mind to rest somehow.

"It must be stupid of me to be crying over this when you see this everyday," Reaper's hands rubbed gentle circles into his back as he spoke up with a firm yet reassuring tone.

"I've had millenia to get used to it, angel, I was created for the sole purpose of bringing death to the living. And I understand that it's not the people I know in these timelines, but you've witnessed your own friends and family die horribly many many times. I've only ever experienced a fraction of the grief you have. You are allowed to be upset about this, it's a horrible thing to have to live through, love. Yet you have been so strong through all of it, you should give yourself more credit. Give yourself the time you need to cope, and I'll support you the best I can, okay love?"

Geno had glanced up as Reaper spoke, and was almost stunned to silence at how the god spoke. The glitched skeleton only found himself tearing out at the sense of relief and comfort he felt, shakily nodding his head before once again burying his face into Reaper's chest again, "There you go, angel, don't bury it, just let it all out. I'll always be right here," Time seemed to senselessly slip by, though the god hardly paid any mind to it as he continued to comfort his small lover, finally hearing the last few tired sniffles escape him followed by a faint hum. "What is it, angel?"

"Can you curl in your wings more?" Reaper blinked before an inevitable chuckle slipped out, having heard a similar timid request before. His feathers ruffled in brief excitement before he complied to Geno's request, bringing them close around the smaller. Simultaneously, he pressed Geno closer to himself, which seemed to go completely void of protest with a welcoming nuzzle into his chest instead.

"Tired, love?" Reaper spoke in a whispered tone as he saw Geno begin to slip into a gentle unconsciousness, smiling as he received a vague nod of the smaller's head in response, "Then rest, I'll be right here when you wake up," Another nod seemed to finally lull Geno to sleep, and Reaper carefully leaned to the side so the two were laying down with Geno still comfortably pressed against him, wrapped up in his ebony wings.

In the empty blackness of the void, Death would undoubtedly stay intertwined with Genocide.