58th Madness

***

Tay.

"Daaad. Okay, okay. I'll bring him there once everything is settled. I still haven't asked him about it yet. I don't wanna pressure him. He's been through a lot."

I'm just reminding you, son. I wanna see you cry on your wedding day already.  And besides, I thought you are at your peak. Why is it taking so long for you to make him say yes?

"Tss. Just, just, stop teasing me. I'm gonna ask him again today."

I wish you luck then.

"Thanks, dad. I love you. Please tell mom I love her."

Okay, son. I love you, too. Take care there and bring my son-in-law as soon as possible.

I let out a giggle as soon as Dad ended the call and slid thru the room to grab my things.

"Love? Let's go?" I knocked on New's door but didn't get any respond. "Love?"

I decided to just punch in the code of his unit but saw no one inside.

"Love?" I called out for the nth time but silence embraced me.

It was then that I noticed his luggage and a familiar notebook on the sofa.

I inched forward and nervously grabbed the notebook. My heart pounded even faster as I held the very thing that I considered as my confidant for the past two years.

I didn't have the slightest idea how he got it but I knew for sure, he already read its contents based on how crumpled the pages were and the smudges on the ink.

I immediately grabbed my phone to call him but received no answer.

Tay, I don't know what happened but New called me asking for help. We're on our way to my unit.

I gripped the diary tighter as I read Kav's message.

"Love, wait for me."

***

New.

My eyes were hazy from all the tears as I ran towards Kav's car and slid inside. My phone was still ringing from Tay's call but I didn't have the courage to talk to him, not after knowing what really happened in those two years that he was gone.

"Hey, wha—"

"Just drive, Kav. Please," I pleaded as I turned my phone off and started sobbing again.

Kav brought me to his unit where he said nothing and just waited for me to calm down. I was curled on his sofa, embracing myself like it would give me some kind of comfort.

It was already dark when I woke up to the smell of food. I slowly got up as my head was heavy from all the crying and noticed the blanket that Kav might have put on me.

"Hey, how are you doing?" Kav asked as he placed a glass of water in front of me.

"F-fine."

"I won't ask what happened but Tay came here earlier and almost broke my door."

"I-is he alright?"

"Yeah. Luckily he calmed down when he saw you sleeping. Care to tell me what happened?"

I swallowed the lump in my throat as I held my hands tighter.