CHAPTER 2- MEMORIES

"So Vincent, speechless aren't you?" Said Tristan looking at a stunned Alice, as she stood gaping at the huge silver gates of his workplace.

The sun in London was barely visible behind the dark clouds, making the morning a little chilly. Tristan though did not feel the cold despite only wearing a green T-shirt and jeans. That's how he liked himself. Simple.

Tristan had wanted to bring Alice as soon as he had bagged the job but thanks to Samuel, the driver Tristan was supposed to replace, he had to wait three long months.

Apparently, Samuel had taken an advance and had to work three more months before finally saying goodbye luxury!

Tristan supposed he had to thank Samuel's wife, because if she had not insisted on going for a holiday, Tristan would still be jobless. He could only hope that the couple enjoyed wherever they planned on going and settled there forever, permanently sealing Tristan's spot here.

Alice had been disappointed the minute Tristan had insisted that she see the mansion only after he had joined. Mostly because Tristan had feared that Samuel might not leave after all.

Thankfully like every other husband on the planet, Samuel eventually had to relent, and now Tristan could proudly tell everyone this was his mansion and the Ferrari 250 GTO was his car. The reason he had agreed to the job of a driver in the first place. He loved cars.

The first thing Tristan had done after he had found out he could finally join the next day, was run to Alice as if his life was at stake. He wanted her to be the first one to know.

Alice was Tristan's best friend. His only friend if he were being completely honest with himself. Sometimes Tristan wondered what he would've done if she hadn't been in his life.

"Whoa!" Exclaimed Tristan now, as he rushed out to catch Alice, who had suddenly stumbled backwards. "Watch it Ali!" 

Tristan wrapped his arms around her to steady her, and to stop her from shivering. "Alice, are you okay?" He asked in concern, looking at his best friend's pale face.

Alice did not respond. She was still staring at the mansion in front of them in what seemed like horror. "I...I've been here before!" She shouted.

"What?" Asked Tristan, straining his ears, trying to be sure if what he had heard was correct.

There were times like these when Alice would say things that made no sense to Tristan. This time however, she sounded completely insane.

"I said I've been here before!" Replied Alice, in a shaky voice.

"Yep! Maybe you visited me before I sold the place." Said Tristan jokingly. Alice though did not laugh. She still looked as if she had been punched in the guts.

Tristan cleared his throat. "Okay Alice, I believe you!" He said, gently holding her by the shoulders. "Tell me when did you come here?"

Alice began to shake her head. "I...I don't remember, but I know for sure that I have been here before!" She looked down. "I know I sound insane. You're probably going to think I have lost my mind!"

Tristan sighed. He reached out and raised Alice's chin so their eyes were level. His heart felt like it would explode. "Like I said Vincent, I believe you!" He assured.

"You do?" Asked Alice disbelievingly.

Tristan smiled. Alice was the most honest person he ever knew. She could never lie to anyone. He nodded. "I would trust you even if you had a sword pointed at my throat." He finally said.

Alice looked at him with huge eyes. "What did I ever do to earn your unwavering trust?" She asked, genuinely sounding curious.

The truth was that Tristan did not know why he blindly trusted Alice. Perhaps it was the fact that her innocence reflected in her eyes. Tristan always saw Alice as someone who did not belong to this cruel world. She deserved a better world. A world full of love and honesty. Though he would never tell her what he thought.

Tristan looked at her now. She was still looking at him curiously, desperate for an answer. "Well," He began, "Because till now you have never told me something unbelievable, like you saw flying sheep or something." He finished.

Alice rolled her eyes and stepped away from him, much to his dismay. "You're an idiot!" She scolded, trying to hide her smile. Tristan was glad. At least he had managed to bring her out of her shock.

"Okay, so apart from the whole Deja vu thing, how is it?" Asked Tristan.

Alice ran a hand over her pink dress. "I think you might get a prince feeling while working here." She said with a smirk.

Tristan had to admit she was beautiful. Her hair, now tied in a ponytail, seemed like silk. Her hazel eyes shone brightly. Her face always seemed so radiant that Tristan felt like gazing at her forever. Had he always felt this way about her?

"Daydreaming already, huh?" Asked Alice, snapping her fingers in front of his face.

This brought him out of his reverie. Before he could say anything, Pete the guard, as far as Tristan knew, appeared. "You're supposed to be joining from tomorrow!" He reminded.

Alice, once again looked like she had been punched.

Tristan scratched his head. "Yeah um, I was just showing my friend here the place." He said, jerking his chin towards Alice. "We were just leaving." He added quickly, desperate to take Alice home before she would faint.

Pete was looking at Alice from head to toe. "Looks like the charity from last time changed your life. At least you no longer look like a beggar!" He observed.

Alice scrunched her eyebrows. "What are you talking about?" 

Tristan nodded. "Exactly, what charity?"

Pete looked at Alice incredulously. "People do forget good deeds early." He shook his head in disappointment. "Madam and Sir would be upset! they really did seem to like you a lot."

Alice perked up. "Can you tell me when exactly I came here?" She asked hopefully.

Pete looked at her doubtfully. "A few months ago? I am not sure."

Alice looked at Tristan. "See?" She asked, as if proving a point.

Tristan raised an eyebrow. "I did say I believe you." He replied with a smile he did not quite feel. Why would Alice ever ask for charity?

Pete now looked angry. "I am sorry to interrupt, but can I kindly request you two to leave? I am not sure Sir and Madam would want to see two kids arguing outside their gate." He looked at Tristan. "I suppose I will be seeing you tomorrow?"

Tristan smiled. "I believe you are right Peter!" He narrowed his eyebrows. "And just so you know, we were not arguing." He said, indicating him and Alice.

Pete's nose flared up. "It's Pete!" He shouted. "And I don't care if the two of you were arguing or romancing. Just clear off!"

Tristan put his palms out, as if to protect himself. "Okay buddy! We were just leaving, right Alice?"

Alice looked as if she were about to puke. Tristan was about to ask her if she were alright, but she cleared her throat. "We were also not romancing!" She said, right before she turned to leave.

 After a moment of hesitation, Tristan followed her, leaving Pete looking after them in confusion and annoyance.