CHAPTER 31-FRIENDS

Alice walked into Mendaline's cave hand in hand with Maria. Mike and Charlie looked astonished.

 Mendaline was sitting on the ground, arranging pebbles. Who knew that witches could get so bored?

Mendaline looked up and smiled mischievously. "You know, I just love it when idiots gain common sense," She remarked. "It makes the earth a much more tolerable place to live in."

Maria laughed and gently drew away, joining Mike and Charlie. Alice remained where she was. "Where is Knave?" She asked, noting his absence.

Mendaline's smile grew sad. "Aria just lost someone close to her. Knave is with her."

"What?" Alice shouted. She was so caught up in her own problems that she had no clue what was happening with those around her.

"I hope she's okay!" Alice said, unable to think of anything else to say.

"It will take time, but such is the rule of life." Mendaline looked right in her eye, as if staring into her soul. "You can't hold on to people you love forever!"

Alice decided it was time. She looked at Maria, who nodded encouragingly. Alice felt a small spark of happiness. She was reminded of old times again.

"Tristan is going to come to visit me in an hour." She informed.

"So?" Mendaline prompted.

"So, I have decided to tell him that he is Cora's power source," Alice said. "He deserves to know that about his life."

Mendaline looked pleased. "That is a wise choice!"

"However, I am going to tell him that, and only that!" Alice said, eyeing the witch, trying to drill the meaning of her words into her.

Mendaline caught her meaning. Her smile wavered. "I am not sure I want to understand what you mean." The witch said, as if daring her.

Alice always loved a good dare. "To sum it up, I am going to tell Tristan that he is Cora's power source and that he has absolutely nothing to worry about because we have thought of something else to defeat Cora!"

Mendaline looked as if she could barely control herself from bursting out. Charlie looked between the two girls worriedly. Maria had grabbed onto Mike.

"And may you do the favour of telling us what master plan you have come up with?" Mendaline demanded.

"I am done hiding in this cave, waiting for whatever Cora might do next. Which is why, I have decided to take the fight to Cora!" Alice replied.

Mendaline laughed unbelievingly. "You know what, come to talk to me when you're sober!"

Alice grew closer. "Mendaline, please just give me cha..,"

"SHUT UP!" Mendaline stood up. "Ever since I met you, I have been tolerating all the crap you've been doing! Whether it's healing Cora, or misunderstanding your loved ones, or how you have such a thick head that when others try to show you the right path you do not even want to listen, let alone follow it!"

Alice couldn't take it anymore. "At least unlike you, I value relationships!"

"What is going on here?" Knave demanded, suddenly appearing. Charlie was right behind him, proving that no doubt he was the one who had brought him.

Mendaline turned towards Knave. "Ask your girlfriend, who thinks she knows it all!"

Knave chuckled. "She decided not to sacrifice Tristan!"

Mendaline stared at him. "And that is funny to you, Wentworth?"

Knave shrugged. "No, I laughed because I guessed right," He looked at Alice, who braced herself for hatred in his eyes. However, when he looked at her, his eyes were full of understanding. "I wouldn't sacrifice Aria either." He said. "I am with you!"