CHAPTER 3- HOME

Alice paced around her room. She couldn't stop thinking about Pete's words.

"Looks like the charity from last time changed your life. At least you no longer look like a beggar!"

Alice closed her eyes, trying hard to focus on his words.

"Madam and Sir would be upset! they really did seem to like you a lot."

An image suddenly appeared behind her closed eyelids. A couple sitting in a garden? Alice wasn't sure. She opened her eyes and grunted in frustration. Her head felt as if it would blast. She reached out and massaged her temples.

"You know what they say about coffee?" Asked Tristan appearing, holding what seemed to be two cups of coffee.

"What?" She asked, trying to keep her frustration out of her voice.

"It helps with sleepwalking." Said Tristan, offering her a cup.

"Thanks, Knave!" Said Alice, as she took the cup.

"What did you call me?" Asked Tristan.

Alice looked at him in confusion. It had happened so fast that she forgot. "What did I say?" She asked.

"You called me Knave!" Tristan replied.

"Knave!" Whispered Alice. As she said the name, her heart felt as if it had skipped a beat. The name sounded so familiar. She shook her head. "Perhaps I'm just too tired." She said, offering Tristan a small smile.

Tristan did not look convinced. "I think so." He replied.

Alice took a sip of the coffee. It was just how she loved it, and yet something was missing. She felt as if there was another taste she were craving for. 

Alice sighed and sat heavily on the bed. Her life was a mess. A moment later, Tristan sat next to her. 

They sat side to side, sipping coffee, when Alice broke the silence. "So, you think I am sleepwalking, huh?" She asked.

Tristan perked up. "Makes sense! I mean all the things you are going through hint towards sleepwalking. Maybe that is why you cannot remember huge chunks of your life."

Alice smiled at him. She wished the explanation were that easy. After all, Tristan did not know about the dreams she kept having about the boy with blue eyes. He did not know about the feeling she had of someone always watching her.

Still, she said, "Maybe you are right."

Tristan looked proud of himself. "So it's clear, we have to tie you whenever you sleep."

Alice looked at him in horror. "Absolutely not!" 

Tristan chuckled. "Chill Vincent, I am just teasing." He looked at her gravely. "But we do have to come up with something."

Alice gently patted his shoulder. "We will come up with something!" She assured.

Tristan nodded. He looked at the clock on her wall and dropped his cup. Luckily for Alice, he had finished his coffee. Cherry on the cake was that her floor was covered in carpet, which saved the cup.

"Damn it's five!" Tristan exclaimed, looking panicked.

Alice looked at him. "You do know you were going to clean up if you messed my room, right?"

Tristan gave her a steady look. "Mom had some guests invited. I was supposed to be home by four!"

Alice looked at him with wide eyes. "I will keep your grave ready."

Tristan laughed and bent down to tie his shoelaces. "Don't forget to play 'I am too hot,' on my funeral." He said in a strained voice. "I am sure as hell mom is going to kill me today!"