CHAPTER 26-HEAL

Alice awoke with something familiarly soft underneath her. She opened her eyes and squinted against the light of the sun. She sat up, taking in her surroundings. Green walls, the bed that looked out the window. With a jolt, she realized she was in her bedroom.

Alice got up and looked down at herself. Someone had traded her jeans and mauve top for a blue dress. She knew exactly who it was.

"CORA!" Alice shouted.

Her mother appeared before her, looking at her with sad eyes. She had a hand placed over her heart. Just where Alice had stabbed her.

Only now did Alice realize the dagger which she always carried in her jeans pocket, was now in the pocket of her dress. Why had Cora left it there?

Cora broke into a small smile. "You missed by only a few inches, darling." She said, indicating her heart.

Alice swallowed. "I can finish the job now, if you want." She said, feeling no guilt.

Her mother smiled. "It does not matter what I want," She said, making her way to sit on the bed. She winced again as she sat. She looked up at Alice. "What matters is if you want to kill me."

Alice looked right back at her. "Of course, I do!"

Cora smiled, brightly this time. "If killing the only one who is there for you your motive, then go right ahead!"

Alice laughed mockingly. "Only one there for me?" She shook her head. "You are under some great misconceptions."

"That's what I can say for your case," Cora replied. "You seem heartbroken." She observed. "And since I did not find the blue-eyed lover boy around, I am assuming he left you all alone to deal with your battles." She chuckled. "How typical!"

"Who gave you the right to point fingers at him?" Said Alice. Anger was surging through her. How could she even speak that way about Knave? Alice would not hear anything against him.

Cora shrugged. The effort made her face contort in pain. Still, she smiled. "I guess giving birth to you gave me some type of right on you." Alice scoffed. Cora looked at her. "Suppose you and lover boy do get married, then what?" She asked.

Alice faked a smile. "Why don't you answer that as well, since you think you know everything already!"

Cora looked pleased with herself. "That I do!" She said. Alice wondered if the witch was familiar with sarcasm. 

Cora continued, "What I'm saying is that you're a witch. An immortal one!" 

Alice felt uneasy. She now understood what Cora was hinting at.

Cora smiled, knowing Alice understood. Still, she asked, "What are you going to do after Knave dies and moves on?" She held up a hand. "Or maybe, he might become a ghost to be with you." She paused. "A real ghost this time!" She added. "But in order to be a ghost there has to be unfulfilled desires, and what if Knave does not have any? He will move on peacefully, leaving you miserable and lonely behind him."

"That is none of your concern!" Alice snapped. However, Cora's words got to her. The witch was right. Living without Knave was misery in itself, but knowing she would have to watch him age and die was something Alice could not bear.

Cora went on, as if Alice had not spoken. "And do not expect your ridiculous ghost friends or even that egoistic witch to be with you." She said. "Once your ghost friends would have their wishes fulfilled, they would pass on too. As for that witch...," Cora shrugged. "She's not exactly a best-friend forever material."

Alice remained silent. What could she say? She felt as if she were inside a deep hole and every damn thing Cora was saying was covering that hole up, trapping her inside.