CHAPTER 25-FAVOUR

Knave opened his bedroom door before Alice could even knock. "I saw you leave the lawn!" He said, moving aside so she could step in.

 Knave watched her as she took in his room. Something was bothering her. He could feel it.

Knave cleared his throat. "What did mother say to you?" He asked. She did not reply. Her eyes were stuck on his closet. "Alice?" Knave called out.

"Yeah?" She replied.

Knave broke into a smile, gently tapping on her head. He wished he knew what she was thinking, the same way she always knew everything about him.

"I asked, what did my mother say to you?" Knave asked again.

Alice seemed hesitant. "Your mother just wanted to know all that had happened!" She finally said.

"That's it?" Asked Knave.

Alice closed her eyes. "Yes!"

Knave did not buy it. She was hiding something. "So why do you seem tensed?" He asked.

Alice opened her eyes. "I am just worried about Cora!" She admitted. 

Knave nodded, feeling relieved. That was a problem they had to deal with later. For now, at least things were okay.

 Alice was studying him. "And you?" She asked. "What is bothering you?"

Knave smiled. She did it again. He decided she deserved the truth. He grabbed her hand. "Aria loves me!" He said.

Alice blinked. "Love as in love love, or love as in like, in love?"

Knave guided her towards the bed, making her sit. "I have no idea what you mean, but she is in love with me like how a woman usually loves a man, who she intends to marry and with who she wants to have children with!" He stopped. He did not think he could explain further. "Please tell me you understood, because I don't think I can get more specific than this!"

Alice nodded as if everything made perfect sense. "She told you that?" She finally asked.

"I asked her why she seemed so happy to see me, and then she confessed!" He replied.

"And what did you say?" She asked.

He sat down next to her. "That's just it!" He began. "Aria understood why I don't love her and she let me go, but I cannot get rid of the guilt I feel for hurting her!" Alice did not reply. She was lost in thoughts yet again.

"Alice?" Knave called out in concern, tightening his grip on her hand.

"I understand how hard this must be for Aria!" She said.

Knave understood too, and wanted to do all he could to make things easy for his best friend. "What must I do now?" He asked, hoping she had an answer.

Alice smiled. "Nothing!" She replied. "Everything will be alright after some time."

Knave was not expecting that. "What do you mean?" He asked.

Alice reached up and kissed him on the cheek. "Don't worry about it!" She whispered in his ear. She stood up, yawning. "I am feeling quite tired!" She announced. "Do you mind if I grab some rest?"

Knave felt his earlier worry catch up with him again. However, he did not push. Perhaps Alice just needed some time. "I can take you to a spare room!" He offered. "Or you can sleep here if you like." He said, desperately wishing she would agree.

Alice shook her head. "I think I can find my way." She replied kindly.

He felt disappointed. He wanted to hug her and take all her worries away. He wanted to watch her sleep in peace.