CHAPTER 9-TRUTH

"Tristan, please say something!" Alice begged.

Tristan remained sitting on the floor, with his head hidden behind his knees. His hands were wrapped around himself, as if he could cover his whole body. He had been in the same position for almost about ten minutes, which made Alice doubt her decision of telling him the truth. She sat on the bed, looking at him worriedly.

When Alice had told him her mother was a witch, he had started pacing around, looking at her incredulously but never once with disbelief. However, when she had begun explaining him how his memories had been altered by Cora, he had sunk to his knees in horror. Alice had immediately felt guilty for putting such a burden on him. Now, all she felt was anger towards her mother, who was the cause of it all.

"Tristan?" Alice tried again.

Tristan looked up, and Alice held her breath. He looked shattered. His eyes, which were always full of life, seemed dead. His face looked as if he were in pain. Alice realized he was shivering. This brought her out of her shock. She ran towards him and wrapped her arms around him.

He did not hug her back, but Alice felt him relax just a little. She broke the hug and looked at him. "Tristan, breathe!" She whispered. He swallowed hard and looked at her. After a while, he let out a breath.

"Tristan....," Alice stopped. She had no idea what she could possibly say that would comfort him. She hugged him again, hoping it would be of some help.

After what felt like a long time, he finally said, "All those memories are fake!" Alice pulled away to look at him. He seemed to be waiting for an answer. Alice did not trust herself to speak. Slowly, she nodded.

Tristan closed his eyes. "What I felt for you...," He broke off.

He did not need to continue. Alice knew what he was thinking. If all his memories with her had been planted in his head, then perhaps he never truly loved her but just believed he did. Alice could not imagine what her mother would gain after breaking an innocent heart.

"I know it is too much to take in and I wish I could've changed it, but this is the truth," Alice said, as tears filled her eyes. Her voice cracked as she continued, "My mother is a monster, a witch, whatever you want to call her!" She closed her eyes. "I am so sorry, Tristan! I never meant for you to ever get hurt."

She felt Tristan wipe her tears, and she opened her eyes. He did not say a word, and yet there was a softness in his eyes when he looked at her. As if he could not see her cry. It made Alice's heart melt.

"It is not your fault." He said in a low voice "Don't blame yourself!"

This made her heart wrench. Even after knowing that her mother ruined his life, played with his feelings, and messed with his head, Tristan was worried about Alice.

"Why are you so good?" Alice demanded. "Shout at me, cry, do whatever you want, but do not say it's not my fault because it is!" She said. "I have been such an idiot! My mother made a fool out of me twice, and both times I just let it happen!"

Tristan shook his head. He cupped her face with his hands. "Alice, it is not your fault!" He said again. "Your mother...," He broke off. He let go of her and put his hands on his head. "My head feels as if it is going to blast!"

Alice nodded. "I had felt the same way before I remembered everything." She informed.

Alice touched his forehead meaning to press it, when she realized he was burning hot. Though his hands had been ice cold when he had touched her.

"Tristan, you have a high fever!" Alice said, panicking. She began to lift him up, but he shook his head.

"I am fine!" He protested.

"No, you are not!" She shouted, helping him to his bed. "I am going to get you something to eat and then you are going to take some medicine!"

"Are you going to go home today?" Tristan asked, sounding concerned.

"No!" She replied. "I am staying with you tonight." She said, before hurrying out his room.

Alice sat on a chair, watching Tristan as he slept. She had not planned on staying at Tristan's place. She was dying to go home and get her hands on anything which might help kill her mother. She supposed killing Cora was the only way to ensure she didn't hurt anyone else.

However, she could not leave Tristan all alone in the state he was in now. Alice had given him medicine which had made him fall asleep, but she knew he would only manage to sleep for some time until he woke up and reality would slap him again. She had to be with him then. She had to let him know that even though all their memories were fake, the bond they had formed in the last few months was real.

Alice let her head fall back, and closed her eyes. She thought about Knave. How must he have spent the last few days with the knowledge that she had forgotten all about his existence? How must the twins have felt to see her every day with absolutely no memory of all the time they had shared? Had Maria missed her too? Would Alice ever be able to see them again?

Even though her memories were back, she could still not see any of her friends. Which meant at the moment, Alice had nothing to fight her mother with. If only she could use her anger to form a weapon.

Instinctively, her hand wrapped itself around the golden necklace. She was running out of time. If Alice did not find something to defend herself with, they would all lose to Cora, yet again.