CHAPTER 22-UNREQUITED

Knave leaned against his room balcony, taking in the view of his house lawn. Alice and his mother were taking a walk, looking deep in conversation. It was just as he had imagined whenever he used to think of home. He knew Alice would have no problem making her place in his family.

As if feeling his eyes on her, Alice looked up. Knave saw her look surprised as she took him in. Her surprise lasted for only a second, before she looked tensed again. He knew his mother would be demanding to know everything that had happened since the curse. Knave wanted to be with Alice, but first he had something to take care of.

For now, Knave smiled at Alice, trying to get her to relax. She smiled back but still looked the same. She held his gaze for a full minute, before looking away.

Knave forced himself to do the same and turned towards Aria. "May I ask what exactly happened to my room while I had not graced it with my presence?" He asked.

Knave had taken one look at his room and realized it was exactly how he had left it. What bothered him the most was that there were pictures of him everywhere. How did no one ever see that? Unless the curse had made them all blind to obvious facts. That seemed like the exact thing Cora liked to do.

"It was concealed," Aria explained. "All we could see was a wall."

Knave shook his head. Of course it did. However, that did not matter anymore. He suddenly felt very tired. All he wanted to do was sleep in his bed, after who knows how many years.

After Knave had admired his room till his heart's content, he had run to his drawer and pulled out a grey shirt and black track pants, spending at least an hour in the bathroom. He had almost forgotten the relaxation you felt after taking a hot shower and changing into clothes that were for a change, not a tux.

The whole time, Aria had been sitting on the bed, watching his every move as if she were seeing everything for the first time.

Knave looked at Aria now, who stood next to him with her arms crossed. Her eyes were fixed on the ground. She looked like she had been hit by a car.

Knave cleared his throat. "I see you and mother have developed quite a bond!" He said, remembering how the two had been laughing earlier. He had been surprised at first. His mother and Aria were close, but they had never been so carefree with each other.

Aria smiled. "I think it happened after they..," She closed her eyes. "We forgot you!" She opened her eyes and looked at him. "They began seeing a daughter in me." She completed.

"And I promise that would not change!" He assured. He held her by the shoulders, but she pulled away. Knave couldn't ignore it any longer. "Aria, are you upset that I am back?"

Aria stared at him in horror. "How could you even think of such a thing?"

"Then what's making you look so.....so miserable?" He demanded.

Aria looked away. She took a full minute before replying, "Because the realization that I completely forgot about the person I have been in love with my whole life, is killing me from the inside!"

Knave stood speechless. He felt as if the ground had swept from underneath him. Everything around him was spinning.

Tears were rolling down Aria's cheek as she said, "Do you know what gift I had planned to give you on your birthday?" She scoffed. "My confession! I had finally gathered enough courage to say the words to you, but just look at my fate!"

Knave shook his head. "How did you...," He forced himself to complete the question. "How did you fall in love with me?" He asked, then realized how stupid that sounded.