CHAPTER 16- MISUNDERSTANDINGS

Mike floated with his arms crossed, staring at the water of Lake Louise. The moonlight shining on the water gave it an unearthly touch. He was not sure why he chose to portal to Canada, but something about the aqua-blue water of the lake, gave Mike a sense of peace nothing else could give him. Or at least nothing could anymore.

He was happy today. Alice had regained her powers, and was now safely sleeping in Mendaline's cave. He had to admit, some part of him was upset that they had lost their old Alice. Mike remembered the look on Alice's face when she had stabbed her mother. The Alice he had seen at that moment, was nothing like the one who had that innocent look in her eyes when she smiled. This Alice was new and broken, but she was still their Alice. She still loved them and it was all that mattered.

"Mike?"

Mike wanted to disappear, but he couldn't bring himself to. After all that she had done, his heart still hurt whenever she cried.

Maria had appeared in front of him, with tears in her eyes. "Mike?" She called again.

He swallowed. "Why are you here?" He asked, resisting the urge to reach out and wipe her tears.

"I just want to talk to you." She said.

"About?" Asked Mike, very well aware of the answer.

"All the things that have happened in these last three months!" She replied. "I thought perhaps giving you some time would change things, but it seems that nothing will resolve until I talk to you."

Mike sighed. As if giving him some time would fix everything. "Maria, how could everything ever resolve between us after everything th....,"

"I think my sister is dead!" Maria said.

That made his mouth shut. He was silent, as Maria continued, "I ended things with Cora after that night, " She looked down at her palms with disgust. " The night I stabbed Alice!" Tears started flowing from her eyes, disappearing as they left her face. "When I saw Alice at that moment where she was almost dying, I realized how could I protect my sister at the cost of another sister's life?" She looked up at Mike. "Which was why I had decided not to do Cora's bidding, and since she could not blackmail me with my sister anymore, she might as well be dead by now!" She looked down. "Even Cora had no objections in freeing me because perhaps she had already...," She broke off.

Mike stared at her in shock. For the first time in his life, he was not sure of what to say. "Did you go and see your sister?" He asked.

Maria shook her head. "I could not bring myself to! I know I won't be able to bear the fact that she's....," Her voice cracked. "I can only hope!" 

Maria was silent for a while, before she looked at Mike again. A question in her eyes. "Didn't you ever wonder why Mendaline allowed me to stay in her cave, despite all I had done?" She asked.

Mike did wonder, but he had always thought the witch was following the old, golden rule of keeping enemies close. However, he did not say that to Maria now, and she did not seem to want an answer.

Maria continued, "Only after she was convinced I was not working for Cora anymore, had she allowed me to help save Alice." She took a deep breath. " I truly love Alice!" She admitted. "All I ever wanted was to protect her. The only reason I had agreed to stab her, was that I knew it would do her no harm. And even now I have chosen Alice over my own sister." She looked at Mike with pleading eyes. "I may have made some mistakes but I have also done things to make up for it!"

Mike opened his mouth to speak, but Maria stopped him with a hand. "I still have one more thing to say to you," She said. "I love you, Mike!" Mike closed his eyes, savouring the feeling of hearing those words from her after so many years of being unsure.

Maria gave a sad smile as she said, "I always did. That is something that would never, ever change. This distance between us has made me realize that I cannot live without you!" She gave a dry laugh. "I meant, I cannot live on as a ghost without you." She reached out and took his hand. "I need you, Mike!" Mike squeezed her hand in response. He opened his eyes and looked at her.

"Do you think you could give us a chance?" Maria asked.

Mike said nothing. Was Maria truly wrong? All she had wanted was to protect the ones she loved. Mike was sure he would've done the same if Charlie had been in danger.

Mike had already wasted too much time. First, by delaying to tell her how he felt, and then by being angry with her like a small child, instead of just talking things out like an adult. So much for him being the wise one.

Maria was looking at him anxiously, desperate for his answer.

Mike smiled. "I love you, Maria!" He finally said the words. Maria looked as if she could not believe her ears. He reached out and wiped her tears. "Of course, I would give us a chance!"

Maria said nothing. Instead, she hugged him and his nose filled up with her familiar fragrance of lavender. 

Mike hugged her back, finally getting his peace. For the first time after so many months of suffering, he felt whole again.