CHAPTER 36- DESIRE

Charlie found Mendaline standing outside her cave. The others were with Alice, trying to spend their remaining time together. Charlie was running out of time.

As he drew closer, he caught her wiping away a tear. "Alice made the right choice." She said, not even turning to look at him.

"I wasn't expecting her to take the news that well," Charlie admitted.

"She did not at first." Mendaline reminded.

Charlie nodded. They had all been worried sick when Alice had suddenly fainted. Charlie had been dreading how they all would face her once she regained consciousness. He had been trying to make himself stronger so as to not make it harder for Alice to let them go. However, when she had finally woken up, she had smiled a smile that told them she was ready to let go.

Charlie was not ready and he knew he wasn't the only one. He looked at Mendaline. The witch had not said a word about his departure and he knew she still wouldn't.

"What do you think Evan said to Alice that made her let us go so easily?" Charlie asked, hoping the witch had an answer that would help him too.

Mendaline shrugged. "When your dead father takes you to the land of the dead to give you advice, you take it!"

"Will you be okay?" Charlie asked, unable to ignore the question anymore.

"I was okay all these years," Mendaline replied. "I believe it's going to be the same in the future."  

Mendaline would still not look at him. Charlie didn't mind. He wasn't sure he could look into those perfect black eyes without holding back tears.

"However," Mendaline began. "I do want to thank you for helping me feel things I never knew I could feel, and also for making me realize things I wouldn't have figured out on my own."

"I want to thank you too," Charlie said.

Mendaline narrowed her eyebrows. "For what?"

"For letting me love you!" Charlie replied.

Now she did turn to look at him. "Why me?" She asked. "Of all the people you could choose to love, why did you choose an emotionless and selfish witch?"

Charlie smiled. How little did Mendaline think of herself? "If you're expecting a cheesy line, you're not going to get it!" He teased.

Charlie supposed now was the time to tell Mendaline everything he loved about her. To make her realize how perfect she was. However, he also knew that once he did, it would be very hard for him to leave.

"I was just expecting an honest answer, which I've realized I am not going to get." Mendaline replied, looking disappointed but not at all angry.

"Just promise me that you won't fall weak," Charlie said.

"That I will!" Mendaline replied. She raised her chin. "I have handled myself almost my entire life, I am confident I can do the same now!" 

Charlie felt glad, but also a bit disappointed. However, he said, "I am proud of you!" He reached out to hug her for what might be the last time, but Mendaline backed away.

"Please, don't!" She warned. "I can't do this!"

Charlie understood, and yet felt deeply hurt. He needed to hug her one last time, but he also had to make sure that she would never break because of him. Which was why he held back his desires and drew away.

They were interrupted by Mike's arrival. "Charlie?" He called out. Charlie turned to face his brother, who looked miserable. "It's time!"

Charlie did not dare look at Mendaline as he said, "I am right behind you!"