CHAPTER 21- MATTER OF TIME

Cora stood looking at the shelves that held the remains of her children. She missed them. They had been so easy to tackle. None had given her the trouble Alice was giving her. She supposed her father had a hand in that. Evan was unlike any other man Cora had ever met, and she had met a lot of men in the last few decades.

Alice had gotten her father's stubbornness, and the will to do things their own way. Cora knew she should be furious at her daughter for weakening her to an extent where she could not even teleport herself any longer, much less heal herself. However, that problem could easily be solved by the sacrifice of a few more lovely souls. The only question was, did she have that much time?

Cora touched the wound right atop her heart. The one her daughter had placed there. She couldn't help but feel something akin to pride. From all her children, Cora had always felt connected with Alice. Ever since she had carried her the first time in her arms, she had known that Alice would turn out to be just like her, and she had proved been proved right.

At first, Cora had been infuriated to see that Alice was as naive as she had once been. Unaware of the cost that came with being a witch. Unaware of one's true capabilities.

Cora had been very small when her mother had died. She did not even know who her father was. She was raised by her Aunt Mirabel, who had shared with her the secret of being forever powerful. However, just like her mother, Mirabel too did not have the courage to sacrifice her own children. They were both too weak, but Cora was nothing like them. She did not want to faint from exhaustion every time she used her powers. She did not want to live for only a thousand years and then wither away, unremembered.

Cora had been so mad with rage when Mirabel had passed away. She had wanted to revive her and then kill her herself for not having a spine. Cora had felt betrayed, which in turn had made her strong today. Almost immortal.

Alice felt betrayed too. She also now has more of Cora's powers in her than before. Whatever she did for that to happen, only she and the boy knew.

Once Alice realizes who she truly is and what she could do, there would be no stopping her from choosing the same path as her mother.

Cora smiled in triumph. She would finally have someone by her side forever. Her own daughter. It was only a matter of time.