CHAPTER 40- CONFRONTATION

Alice changed into her nightgown, which was a relief. Her pain from earlier had dulled, but she had a feeling it might return with intense force, which would eventually lead to a late-night visit to the hospital. Which was why Alice had to do what she had come to do in the attic before she ran out of time.

Unlike the other parts of the house, the attic was used the least but it was still well maintained. There were even a few grey couches placed, which Alice appreciated. She immediately made her way to one and gave rest to her throbbing feet. 

She laid her head back, collecting her thoughts. Knave was currently busy putting the kids to bed, which meant he would not notice her absence for at least another hour.

Alice considered the risks that might come with what she was about to do. She knew it meant no harm to her baby. If it had, she wouldn't be sitting here right now, trying to steel her nerves to conjure up her biological mother's spirit.

Alice long knew that Cora's spirit would never be at peace, which meant she could still get in touch with her. There were a lot of questions only Cora had the answer to.

Over the years, Alice had often thought of conjuring up her mother's spirit but somehow she had never gotten the courage. 

Today, after seeing Tristan, that had changed. Seeing her best friend alive and healthy made her wonder what exactly her mother's intention had been.

Alice slowly stood up. She closed her eyes, clearing every thought from her mind. She tried to picture Cora's face in her mind. Instantly, she felt the room temperature drop. Her hands turned cold, but Alice focused on her task at hand.

"You're gone good!" Said a shaky female voice, which sounded almost ancient. Despite that, Alice could recognize the voice that still haunted her sleep.

Slowly, she opened her eyes and stifled a scream that had almost come when she saw the sight in front of her.

Cora's spirit stood before her. Alice sucked in a breath. Her mother's whole body, including her face, was torn in most areas, as if someone had attacked her. Her hair was red, pure red with blood. Alice had not known it was possible to see blood in a spirit, but here she was seeing proof of that in her mother. Cora's eyes were pure black. Her lips...

Alice looked away, unable to bear the sight. Her mother had no lips. Alice tried her best to look for a distraction. She did not want to torture her and her baby any longer. Finally, she set her eyes on a pile of boxes behind her mother's form.

"Hello, my love," Cora said. She glanced towards her belly. "And hello to the little one too, who is almost on her way,"

"Her?" Alice asked.

"It's a girl," Her mother informed. "I can sense it."

Alice supposed this might be the world's worst gender reveal ever. She shook her head, trying to stay focused. Losing attention at this stage could have a lot of consequences. One of them included having to live with her mother's spirit forever.

"What's going on with you?" Alice asked.

"Let's just say, the souls of the ones I have harmed aren't quite happy to see me," Cora replied.

Alice tried not to dwell on that for long. "I have a few questions to ask you," She said, keeping her gaze fixed on the boxes.

"That's disappointing," Her mother began. "I thought you finally saw the good in me,"

"You're not completely wrong," Alice said. "Tristan is alive."

"I know," Cora said.

There was something in the tone of her voice that told Alice she was smiling. "And he is only alive because your healing power cured him one last time," Alice continued. "healing powers you did not have any reason to separate from yourself," She paused before asking, "Why did you do it?"