CHAPTER 24-WISH

"I see my son really cares about you!" Said Lorine, walking beside Alice.

Alice wanted to point out that she cared for Knave too, but she knew that would certainly not earn her good points. She doubted anything she said would. Instead, she nodded her head in agreement.

After Knave had gone with Aria to see his room, Lorine had insisted to take Alice for a walk alone. Mason had protested, but Lorine had taken care of that with one deadly look.

A few minutes later, Alice found herself taking a stroll in the lawn, narrating everything that had happened in her life, after she had met Knave. Of course, leaving a few details out. However, Lorine was not a fool. 

The wind blew, making Alice shiver. Though not entirely because of the cold. Her uneasiness was increasing by the minute. She couldn't shake the feeling that something terrible was about to happen.

Alice felt Knave's eyes on her, and she looked up. Knave was leaning against his room balcony, looking down at her. She did a double-take when she saw him. She was so used to seeing him in a tux, that seeing him in any other clothes was a little unsettling. 

Alice felt as if she did not recognize him anymore, but when he smiled at her like he always did, that feeling vanished. As if it had never been there.

Alice held his gaze for as long as she could without breaking down. She realized now, how different their worlds were. He was almost like a prince, and Alice was a witch whose mother was a soul-devouring monster. Alice looked away, forcing back tears.

"You are Cora's daughter!" Lorine said, interrupting her thoughts. Her words felt like knives thrown at Alice. Being called a witch was one thing. Being called Cora's daughter was a whole different level of crap.

Alice trusted herself to only nod. Lorine looked disappointed, which was no surprise. "Have a seat!" She offered, guiding her to the same table and chair where Alice once had tea with Knave's parents.

Lorine settled herself in a chair across from her. Alice realized with great dismay, that she blocked her view of Knave. Whether that was intentional or not was a mystery Alice did not want to solve.

Lorine folded her hands in her lap. "Knave and you have obviously formed quite a bond!" She pointed out. For some reason, her eyes were fixed on the silver bracelet Alice wore on her wrist. The one Knave had given her.

Alice's tongue felt like lead. She swallowed. "I guess so!" She replied. She wanted to tell her more. That she was hopelessly in love with Knave. That she would die without him. That he was the only thing she ever asked for. That she could not imagine a world without him.

However, Alice remained sitting like a statue, as Lorine nodded her head gravely. "Do you know how much trouble your mother has caused us?" Lorine asked, looking down at her hands.

"Cora!" Alice corrected.

Lorine's eyebrows knit in confusion. "I beg your pardon?"

"I prefer to call her Cora!" Alice explained.

Lorine gave a nod of agreement. "Very well!" She began. "Like I said, Cora has turned our lives upside down!" Her eyes filled with tears. "We had forgotten all about our son, and had lived with the pain of not having any child!"

"I am sorry!" Alice said, knowing it was pointless. "If there was anything I could do to change what happened, I would!"

"You can!" Lorine said.

Alice looked at her in surprise. "Then tell me and I will do it!" She said in determination.

Lorine took a deep breath before speaking. "No one can change the past," She began. "But we can try and change things for the future!" She looked at Alice. "I know you have been through a lot dear, and I know how selfish it is to ask from you what I am about to ask you now,"