CHAPTER 38- CHANGE

"Tristan, where are you?" Alice called out, holding a bowl of rice in her hands, trying to locate the boy who had drained all her energy.

"If you don't come out in five seconds, I'm calling your father, young man!" Alice threatened. "Five..., four...," She heard laughter. "Thr...,"

"Boo!" Shouted little Tristan, coming out from behind the curtains. He laughed as Alice shook her head. "Mommy, you know Dad won't shout me, right?"

Alice looked at her nine-year-old son who looked so much like his father in that one moment. He had Knave's beautiful blue eyes and black hair. However, he was as skinny as Alice once used to be.

"Gosh, you even sound like Knave!" Alice observed. "Anyways, finish up and then go wherever you want!" She said, handing her son the bowl along with a small spoon.

"Can I sit on the bed, Mommy?" Tristan asked.

Alice thought about it. She never allowed her kids to eat in their bedroom, but she had no strength left to disagree. "Just don't make a mess!" She warned, knowing it was of no use.

Tristan climbed on top of his bed, dropping some rice in the process, and fed himself a spoonful. Alice sighed and looked around. 

The children's room was decorated by their grandparents. Ela had picked out the golden curtains, and Lorine had painted the walls orange, which she argued was the favourite colour of every child. She had also placed orange carpets around the room, making sure all the furniture were white, complimenting the golden curtains. 

Mason had bought a bunk bed for both the kids, which would soon be needed to change. After all, they had to welcome their third grandchild.

Alice looked at herself in the long mirror that stood beside the cupboards. Her hair, tied up in a neat bun, made her look old, but not old enough to be thirty-two. At least, that's what she liked to believe. Her long robe showed just how much she had gained, but that was also because she was carrying a nine-month baby in her stomach. Her slippers did nothing to hide her swollen feet and she was dying to sit in some hot water once her job was done here.

Alice wanted to smack the person who told her that the third pregnancy was easier. She made a mental note to smack Knave the next time she saw him.

Alice turned around. She was about to make her way to the white couch, when she stepped on something that made a squeaky noise. Even without looking, she knew it was the rubber duck that she had stepped onto many times in the past.

She ruthlessly kicked the duck aside, evoking another sound. She ignored it and continued her long journey to the couch, avoiding all the places where toys were scattered.

"And do pick up all the toys from the ground once you're done!" Alice ordered, slowly settling herself on the couch.

"Yes, Mommy!" Replied Tristan, who had long abandoned his bowl of rice and was now playing with action figurines.

"Mommmmyyyyy!" Maria called out. A second later, Knave appeared with their five-year-old daughter hanging from his shoulders.

Alice's eyes grew wide. "Knave, what are you....," She tried sitting up and winced in pain as the baby inside of her protested against the sudden movement.

Knave immediately put Maria down and rushed to Alice's side. "Chill, babe," He said. "I had it handled."

"Yeah, like you had it handled when you almost dropped Tristan on his head!" Alice reminded. The memory still send chills down her whole body.

"Nothing happened!" Knave protested.

Alice gave him a look. "Mendaline is not always going to be there to save your a.....,"