CHAPTER 10- FAMILY

Mendaline sat next to her fire once again, questioning herself why the heck ghosts were so dramatic. Alice had remembered everything, sure, it was something to rejoice about. What Mendaline could not understand, was why everyone seemed as if they had conquered the world.

Once they had all returned to her cave, Knave had laid a whole feast, which was the only part Mendaline had enjoyed. As if that was not enough, The twins and Knave had decided to decorate her whole cave with ridiculous scented candles, which only made Mendaline sneeze horribly. Eventually, she had thrown all of them out, but that did not stop her cave mates from their madness. 

They had begun talking and laughing about almost everything. During all of it, Maria had silently been sitting in one place with a smile on her face. 

They had all soon fallen asleep while talking, and as usual, Mendaline was up looking for some peace after her disturbing night. She thought it would make more sense if they had rejoiced after defeating Cora. Then again, perhaps normal people celebrated every small thing, and Mendaline was anything but normal.

She looked at Knave as he slept. This was the first time she had seen him sleeping in peace. Most nights in the past three months, Mendaline had found him missing. She knew he used to visit Alice, but what she did not understand was why he even bothered to. What could he possibly achieve by watching her when she did not even remember him? If he had wanted to waste time he could've asked Mendaline, and she would've happily given him chores to do. Like doing her laundry for instance. That was before she remembered she had powers and didn't need to do laundry. Also, even though Knave would agree to wash her clothes, he would deliberately tear them in front of her while giving her his irritating smirk.

Mendaline looked at Knave angrily now, before realizing he hadn't really torn her dress. She returned her attention to her fire before she could think of more nonsense, which would result in her murdering Knave while he was completely innocent.

Mendaline suddenly felt warm air. She had sensed him before he had even spoken. "Yes, Charlie?" She said.

He looked stunned, but only for a minute. He shrugged and took his place next to her. "I am not feeling sleepy." He said.

"Count sheep!" She suggested, unable to think of anything else to say. He laughed. Mendaline turned to look at him. "What's so funny?" She demanded.

"I never thought you were the counting sheep type." He replied.

"No, I am more of a killing-annoying-ghosts-who-ask-too-many-questions-in-the-middle-of-the- night, type!" She said.

Charlie just smiled. "Were you always this sweet?" He asked, his voice heavily dipped in sarcasm.

Mendaline offered a fake smile. "It's called being truthful."

He was quiet for a while, then he asked, "Why do you hate people?"

"Because they hurt you!" Mendaline replied, not knowing how else to answer his question.

"Have you been hurt?" He asked.

Mendaline considered snapping at him and chasing him away, but there was something about the way he was looking at her that made her say, "As long as I was around people, yes!"

Charlie nodded and Mendaline was relieved he did not press her further. It almost made her want to thank him.

"Do you know..," He began. "That having someone who cares for you can bring you so much peace." Mendaline looked at him with wide eyes. He continued, "Isn't that what you're in search of?"

"How did you know?" She asked.

He shrugged. "I also have had my share of staring at fires when everyone sleeps," He paused. "Actually, I used to stare out the window."