CHAPTER 14- FAVOUR

"HELLO, AUNT SOPHIE!" Tristan shouted, hoping Alice got the hint.

Sophie Vincent stood in front of him, wearing a plain grey gown, and looking extremely annoyed. Now that Tristan knew who she really was and all she had done, he could not control the fear that seized him. He sunk down on one of the couches in the lounge, trying his best to keep his smile.

"Hello, Tris." She said as quietly as she could.

Tristan almost puked at the nickname. Tris was a name Sophie used whenever she saw him. At first, it had brought him happiness. Now, he felt sick with the fact that he was so close to her, that she had given him a nickname.

"HOW WAS YOUR DAY?" He asked loudly, just in case Alice hadn't heard him.

Sophie pursed her lips. She was quiet for so long that Tristan began sweating. "It was fine." She finally replied. "But I think by night time I might have to see an otolaryngologist, since you would make me deaf by screaming that loud!" She snapped.

Sophie had always been this sarcastic with him, but now he saw how much hate and dislike she carried along with her sarcasm. The realization brought a lump in his throat.

Tristan cleared his throat to speak again. "I am sorry!" He said, though he only lowered his voice a little. He wondered what was taking Alice so long. She was supposed to come by now.

"Where is Alice?" Asked Sophie, glancing towards her daughter's room.

"Um, aunt Sophie!" Tristan got up and ran towards her, stopping an inch away. She immediately backed away, as if he carried a disease. It only made Tristan wonder if she had always been like this. He did not want to consider the other possibility, that she somehow found out that Tristan knows the truth, which is why she was not bothered to hide her true side. It was all giving him a headache.

"I wanted to tell you something!" Tristan quickly said, as Sophie raised an eyebrow in question.

"What?" She demanded.

"How did you come so early, mama?" Asked Alice appearing, closing her bedroom door behind her. Tristan guessed Knave was still in there. The thought made him want to sulk in a corner and question his whole existence.

"I thought you would be happy to see me!" Sophie replied, sounding genuinely surprised.

Alice crossed her arms. "Perhaps a few years ago I would be jumping with joy, now...," She let the sentence hang in the air.

Tristan stared at Alice in shock. It was almost like he did not recognize her. She seemed so changed in the course of a day, and he did not know how to accept the change.

Sophie smiled coldly. "Let me go and change. After all, I have to make dinner, dear!" She said, as if Alice had not spoken. She made her way to her room and slammed the door shut.

Alice walked towards Tristan. There was an air of confidence around her, that he had not seen in her before. She had always been shy and unsure as far as he could remember. She dropped her voice as she told him, "Go home, Tristan!"

Tristan crossed his arms. "No!" He replied. One thing which had not changed, was that he would never leave her side. Alice stared at him. He held her gaze, letting her know he wasn't going to back down.

Alice stomped her foot in frustration. "Fine!" She said through gritted teeth. "But for now wait in my room."

That much he could do. Besides, he needed some time to gather his thoughts. Then he remembered Knave might be there too. Not that it mattered, since he couldn't see him anyway. The fact brought him immense relief.