Chapter 37

A month passed and things of course had to go south once again. Sasuke ended up leaving to join Orochimaru, and now I was impatiently waiting in the hospital for Naruto to recover so I could go see how he was doing. 

Sakura came to visit me earlier this week in tears, and she told me about how she tried stopping Sasuke the night he left. Even if our situations were completely different, I understood how she felt. Ironic how it's over an Uchiha too. 

At least hers had a chance of coming back. I genuinely hoped Sasuke would, for both of their sakes.

Kakashi was the one who told me that he was sent with the medics to go retrieve Naruto and his classmates who tagged along with him. I could tell this was making Kakashi feel guilty since he told me he didn't get there in time. 

My thoughts were interrupted when I heard footsteps approaching me. It was Shizune, she looked completely exhausted. I knew that she and Tsunade were working really hard trying to heal everyone.

"He's going to be okay. His injuries aren't life-threatening and you can go visit him now," She said.

I quickly stood up and walked to his room. He was already awake and was staring out the window. His spirit looked broken. 

"Naruto, I'm so glad you're okay," I said, sitting down on the end of the bed. I had some flowers and set them down on the end table as I sat down.

"I couldn't stop him..." 

Naruto looked outside and I couldn't help but give him a look of sympathy. Again, it's absolutely heartbreaking to see such a happy-go-lucky person like this. 

"It's not your fault," I reassured. "He was too filled with hate to think clearly. You can't change a person's mind once they're in that mindset,"

He looked over at me without a word.

"Please don't blame yourself, Naruto. This isn't your fault at all, you tried your best and in the end, you can't change a person's mind once they're fueled by revenge. Believe me, I know," I continued, my mind drifting off to Nozomi and the vigilantes who wanted revenge against me since they couldn't get to Minato.

He looked down. "I promised Sakura too,"

"And she won't blame you either. She'll know this wasn't your fault," I replied. 

He leaned back into the pillow behind him with a sigh.

"Listen, you're the strongest kid I know. You'll get through this and I'm sure Sasuke will regain his senses one day. He's just lost, considering what happened to his family. You have to let him do this, he'll learn on his own that revenge isn't the option,"

I stood up and walked over to give Naruto a hug. I could tell that this helped him just a little. There was a knock on the door and I saw it was his classmate, which was Shikaku's son.

"I'm not interrupting anything, am I?" He asks.

I shook my head. "No. I was just checking on him, I'll let you two talk. I'll see you later Naruto,"

I left after that and shut the door behind me. I saw Sakura walking over to his room and she looked at me and I already knew what question she was asking.

I shook my head and she looked down, completely devastated.

I touched her shoulder comfortingly. "Please try to be there for Naruto. He really needs support right now,"

She nodded without a word and stood against the wall as if she was lost in her thoughts. I passed by Tsunade, who then started talking to Sakura as I left. At least that was one headache done. I was worried sick that he was severely injured. It must've been the Nine-Tails that made him heal quicker.