Chapter 17

A week had passed since Kurenai and I made up finally and I'm currently at her house. 

We were catching up a lot and since I still trust her, I told her about my situation with Naruto. How I have to pretend we aren't related and how it's stressing me out. I also explained to her that I had to change my last name to Namikaze so he doesn't question me if he finds out my last name is actually Uzumaki.

"You don't think that'll make the situation worse?" Kurenai asked.

I shook my head and took a sip of my coffee before talking. "No. He doesn't even know Uncle Minato's name, so it won't raise suspicion. It'd be much worse if he found out what my actual last name is,"

"What if he somehow finds out your last name on accident?"

I sighed, not wanting to think about that. "Then I guess I'd have to tell him another lie, which I hate. I wish I could take him in right now, but I can't, considering that these rogue ninjas are targeting me. They already know I'm Minato's niece, I don't want them knowing he's his son,"

Kurenai and I eventually changed the subject. She knew the entire situation is already stressful, so she didn't press any further. 

I also didn't want to think about whether Naruto would hate me for lying to him when he finds out the truth. I'm already preparing myself for that, but I hoped to god it wouldn't happen.

Kurenai then started telling me about what's been going on her life. 

I gave her a smirk. "So, did you and Asuma ever get married?"

She blushed. 

I grinned even more. "You did!"

She continued blushing. "No, we didn't,"

"Well, if you guys do get married soon I hope I'm your maid of honor," I said.

Her front door opened and Asuma walked in. He looked surprised to see me in here, but then smiled.

"Hey Hana, how are you?"

"Good, I was just telling Kurenai here that I hope I'm her maid of honor when you two get married," I snickered.

Asuma and Kurenai's cheeks both flushed red. Asuma cleared his throat, then changed the subject.

"Well I'm glad to see you two hanging out again. Now we can all hang out, just like old times," He said.

"Yeah, but Anko still doesn't want to talk to me," I sighed. 

"She will," Kurenai said. "I know she will,"

I wanted to believe her words, but I didn't want to get my hopes up. 

Asuma then joined our conversation and he told me about how they live together. I knew the scheme I had at the festival back then would work. 

Kurenai stood up. "I've gotta get going, I have to meet with my students for a mission we're going on. I'll see you guys later,"

"Okay, good luck on your mission," I said.

"And be safe too," Asuma added.

She waved and left their house. 

I thought it would be awkward since she left us alone, but it wasn't. Asuma was talking to me as if he never had an issue with me before.

"Hey, Asuma?" I asked.

He looked at me.

"I just have to ask, since I just made amends with Kurenai," I started. "Did you ever have a problem with me too? I know she told you about why we stopped talking,"

"No, I didn't," He replied. "I told her that you needed more help, but she was being stubborn about it of course. That never changed our friendship, but I figured you distanced yourself from me because of her,"

Asuma continued. "And I would've reached out to you, but I didn't think you'd want to still be friends since I'm with her. I also knew that she would be upset with me if I did,"

I nodded.

"I see," I replied. "I'm sorry for pushing all of you away. That was very stupid of me-,"

He cut me off.

"Hana, it's okay. You don't have to apologize. I understand why you did, and I think I would've done the same thing if I was in your shoes," He smiled. "We made amends now, so that's all that matters now,"

I teared up a little at his words. He was like the brother I never had. Well, the older brother I mean. 

"There was something I needed to ask you about too," He said. 

"What is it?"

"So, I happened to overhear my father telling you about some rogue ninjas targeting you," He started.

Now I know who was eavesdropping on the conversation.

"And?"

"I just wanted to ask if you're being safe and if you needed help fending them off," He said.

"Yes, I am. Kakashi ended up getting involved because I ran into the man who caused...him to die," I replied, trying to suppress that painful memory. "And he was wanting revenge against Kakashi, so we're trying to figure out when the rest will try and come for me,"

He nodded. "But do you and Kakashi need help?"

I shook my head, but I knew he would probably try anyway. 

The whole thing is just stupid. They want revenge against Uncle Minato, but yet they think coming for me is the best idea. I hoped we would put an end to them soon. I'm just glad Naruto isn't involved. 

All hell would break loose if they ever harmed him or even breathed around him.

After that, I told Asuma I had to go and left their house so I could get ready for tomorrow. 

I really needed mental preparation, since tomorrow is the chunin exams and I'd have to be in the same presence as Anko. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry for the hiatus once again. I'm not giving up on this, but I was just stressed again. My cat died from feline leukemia back in September and I'm still upset about it. My grandpa also has congestive heart failure, so that's what's been stressing me out. Not only that, my work schedule just has me busy constantly. Expect more updates today though, I know this chapter sucks but I had to force myself to get out of the writer's block.