Chapter 6

A few weeks had passed since the time I talked to Naruto.

I checked in on him a few times of course, but I didn't get to talk to him a lot since he's been busy with the academy and I had a couple of missions.

I was cleaning up the house and then there was a knock on my door.

I opened it and my eyes widened.

"Y-You're here..."

I almost broke down right there, but I contained myself.

"Yeah," Kurenai nodded. "I'm actually here with Asuma too,"

She was curt with me, which really stung.

"K-Kurenai, I-"

"Look, now isn't the time to talk," She saidz. "Asuma and I here because Lord Hokage wants us to go on a mission,"

She wasn't even my best friend anymore and that really hurts me. I pretty much lost everyone I ever cared for and I just barely got Kakashi and Guy back.

My eyes watered slightly and she maintained a professional demeanor. 

"Okay," I nodded. "I'll get changed and meet you guys at the tower,"

She left and I sighed.

I got changed into my ninja attire and left for the Hokage's Tower. Why did I have to be sent on a mission with her? I wish I could've had Kakashi instead. Asuma and I haven't had any problems, but I grew really distant with him too.

I knew they got together after the whole scheme I had at the Cherry Blossom Festival, so that's probably why Asuma got distant with me too.

I'm just gonna have to keep a professional face and try to forget that we were close, even though it'll be hard.

I saw them waiting at the entrance and caught up with them.

"Do you know what the mission is about?" I ask.

"Someone in the village reported seeing someone lurking around the cemetery and around the park late at night," Asuma answered. "So he wants us to investigate it,"

I nodded.

"He also thinks someone may be spying in the village," Kurenai added.

I do remember seeing some kind of shadow in the cemetery...maybe this is connected.

"I see,"

Kurenai now seemed surprised at how curt I was this time and I led the way into Lord Hokage's office. I opened the door and he looked up from his paperwork.

"So now that you three are here, I can explain some more," He said and stood up.

"So someone is lurking around?" I ask.

"Yes," He replied. "I had Kakashi take care of a petty thief the other day and I don't know if this is linked to that, or if it's something else. So I wanted you three to investigate,"

"So where do we start looking?" Kurenai asked.

"The villager said they took off outside of the village, so you guys should look there," He replied.

He went over a few other details of the mission and then dismissed us so we could start it.

Now I couldn't stop wondering if that incident at the cemetery was a coincidence or if it was connected.

Asuma broke the silence as we exited the village. 

"Is something on your mind?" He asks.

"No, I'm just thinking about what this guy's motives are," I answered. 

He nodded and we were walking for at least ten minutes. He stopped walking suddenly and then looked around. 

"I think we should split up here," Asuma said.

"What? Why?" Kurenai asked.

His answer was extremely vague. "If we split up, we can throw off the person we're after. Just trust me,"

She gives him an unsure look and I raised my eyebrow.

"When would we meet up?" I ask.

He looked at me thoughtfully. "There's a dumpling shop up ahead, I think we should meet up there,"

Kurenai looked worried. "That's an hour away. We should stick together,"

"I have to agree," I added. "If this person is a spy, they could be leading us into a trap and we'd be falling right into it by splitting up. They probably want us to split up so they can take us out one by one,"

Asuma sighed. "Guys. Trust me, okay?"

Kurenai and I both exchanged glances and then looked at him.

"Fine, you better not endanger yourself," I said.

"Yeah, you guys need to be careful," Kurenai said.

Asuma gave her a smile. "I'll be alright,"

He went off in a different direction, leaving me and Kurenai alone. 

Awkward.

"Be safe," is all I said and took off.

The direction I took had lots of overgrown plants and grass around here. The thick vegetation here could easily be used for a sneak attack, so I knew I had to be super careful. I had to cut my way out of some of the bushes since the plants were overgrown. 

I suddenly realized I couldn't move.

The hell?

I struggled and I looked down to see what was preventing me from moving. I realized there was wire string around my legs and it was clear, so it was hard to see at first glance. Damnit, I've fallen into this enemy's trap.

I reached for a kunai, but then my arms were now restricted from moving.

"Now I've finally found you,"

An unfamiliar man spoke and I looked back up, seeing a tall silhouette with a dark grey cloak. I couldn't see what he looked like since he was covered completely by the cloak.

What bothered me is how he said he "finally" found me.

"Who are you?" I narrowed my eyes. "And what the hell do you want from me?"

"That doesn't matter. What matters is that I found you and you're coming with me,"

I didn't reply and tried to think of ways to escape off the top of my head. I was in an awkward angle, so I didn't know what to do. 

I attempted to move around, but the string had me in place. Maybe if I pulled a little harder, it would break.

The man watched as I attempted to break out and he chuckled. 

"It's useless. I chose this way to trap you for a reason, and now you'll be coming with me,"

My heart started to race as he walked closer to me and he pulled a syringe out. Was I going to die? Probably.

He stabs the syringe into my arm.

My body felt like it was relaxing and I was breathing a little slower. My eyes started to shut and everything went black.