Chapter 40

*5 weeks later*

YOUR P.O.V.

I was in The Loft studio in Detroit and I was 1/4 of the way into finishing my album. I was currently working with Noah “40” Shebib. He was like a best friend I hadn’t seen in a long time and I loved his sound and when we worked on my other albums, we got on so well, his vision was perfect for what I wanted on my new album.

I was in the studio with my big bro Drake too and he was finishing his recordings for the chorus and his verse in the booth while I waited in the chair next to 40. I was feeling so sick and while I was putting a hold on my retching, I was tapping away at my phone, tweeting to fans, retweeting the people on my TL and updating my tweets and texting back and forth with Daniel. He finished in Toronto 2 weeks ago and now he was back recording in NY while I was in Michigan. 

40- Y/N…?

Y/N- *still looking at phone* Mm-hmm?

40- *snatches your phone* You focused?

Y/N- Hey!

40- *looks at your phone* Oh so *baby voice* You’re texting Diggy?

Drake- *comes out of booth* Lovey-dovey birds!

Y/N- Shut up! Least I have somebody!

40- *laughs* You working on the lyrics?

Y/N- I should do that…*reaches to take phone*

40- *holds phone away* Uh-uh, this is staying with me till we’ve finished today!

Y/N- Fine! I’ll focus, I promise…play the beat back for me again…

40- *plays the whole song back*

I corrected, altered and fine-tuned the lyrics I had written down on my notebook while listening to the beat, while trying to refrain from throwing up all over the studio and myself. I wrote the lyrics for this song myself and the lyrics tied in with Drake’s verse and the chorus which he’d rap and sing too. Like my other albums- Blank Canvas and Mind/Matter- I wanted some of the songs to have a message and to tell the story of who I am and what was really on my mind.

I sat on the leather sofa against the wall scribbling notes and making amends on my huge notebook. I wore black jeans, a cream fluffy jumper and my black and white Nike hi-tops and I wore one of Dig’s black snapbacks backwards. 

40- Thought of an album name yet?

Y/N- *looks up* I’ve skipped that step. Everything else is moving forward except that

Drake- *walks over you* What do you want the album to mean, what are you getting out?

Y/N- I just..I want this album to show that over the last 4 years, I know how to play this game, I don’t want a pop sound. I want a hip-hop and R&B. That I’m not pretentious or naive in this industry.

40- Just write down the words that remind you of the album and what you want, and go from there, everything you feel. *looks at your notebook* You finished tho?

Y/N- *clears throat* Yeah, lemme get in there…

I got in the booth and recorded my verses and backing vocals on the song called “In Too Deep”. I was so unhappy with my voice cause I had a bit of a cold and it was affecting my singing and rapping, but 40 and Drake said it matched the mood of the song: deep, dark and low-tempo sound of the song, so I continued with their guidance. It took me 2 more hours to finish all the choruses and backing vocals, it didn’t help that I’d been here since 12pm and my voice just wasn’t pulling through and I was feeling sick too.