Chapter 8: Burial Mounds

Chapter 8
Burial Mounds

"Lan Zhan it's about to be dawn...I think you should..."
Wei Ying started to say but was interrupted by Lan Zhan...

"No..."
Lan Zhan replied adamantly understanding what Wei Ying was talking about and continued to walk straight ahead...

"Why would you say no when you don't even know what I was going to say...?"
Wei Ying said exasperated...

"I know what Wei Ying is going to ask and my reply is no..."
Lan Zhan said stubbornly...

"Lan Zhan...Hanguang Jun...Lan Er Gege..."
Wei Ying called out walking after him...

"No...I'm not listening..."
Lan Zhan said...

Wei Ying sighed...
He was getting used to the current softie persona of Lan Zhan and the unreasonable, unrelenting Lan Zhan had to make an appearance...

"Lan Zhan...just listen to me please...it's already going to be dawn...When the Wens come in the morning and notice your absense along with the lack of trace of the Yin Metal they will be suspicious..."
Wei Ying said to him...

"Brother is capable of taking care of the Wens...besides at that time I wouldn't have been there in the first place if Uncle hadn't asked me to...I had already completed my education remember..."
Lan Zhan said emphatically...

"Lan er Gege...i don't know why but after we came back you are getting a bit handful at times..."
Wei Ying said in an exasperated tone...

Lan zhan walked ahead stubbornly and Wei Ying sighed as he caught up to the man...

"Are you sure about this...?"
He asked Wei Ying as they walked towards the empty streets of Yiling...

Wei Ying stared at the familiar streets of Yiling remembering a three year old that hugged his legs...

***********

Wen Yuan held him in one hand and a wooden sword in the other, wearing the grass butterfly on his head, 'Brother Xian, would Brother Rich ever come here again?'

Wei WuXian bursted, 'Who's Brother Rich?'

Wen Yuan answered seriously, 'The rich brother is Brother Rich.'

Wei WuXian, 'Then what about me?'

As expected, Wen Yuan answered, 'You are Brother Xian. Brother Poor..."

**********

Wei Ying smiled painfully...

No use dwelling on it now Wei Ying...
All you have to care about is to stop it from happening this time...
Rest all are insignificant...

"Wei Ying..."
Lan Zhan called him...

"A-Yuan used to call you Brother Rich..."
Wei Ying laughing choking with emotions...
"And I was Brother Poor..."

"I'm sorry...I couldn't do anything to save him"
Lan Zhan said to him...
It was one of his many regrets, that he was too late to save the child...
By the time he reached to Burial Mounds the kid had already succumbed to death...

Losing Wei Ying and A'Yuan the same day had made him lose his sanity and he had ended up fighting the clan members who came to Burial Mounds for the Surge...

He knew that in the name of purging evil they were there for their own greed...They were there to see if Wei Ying had left behind any shards Yin Metal...