❹_Smell of Trouble

The following days proceeded almost normally. At least, that was what you wanted to believe...

You were busy on your works alongside Rachel, as always, and although she was too much sometimes, because of her commanding and abrasive personality, you could have known her better, maybe because you two were the only women there.

However, the field officer had noticed that there was something distracting you...an afternoon, she was talking to you in the garden when accidentally the Mailman 2-1 squad came there; there, Rachel caught the eye of Sergeant Kay, who replied with a smile, and so did Lieutenant Kolchek, but you two ignored each other.

《Is something wrong with you and Kolchek...?》  She suddenly told you as you were on your way to her office.

《I don't know...he helped me a lot with the training, he must be just tired of seeing me so often.》  You replied with a grimace.

Meanwhile, you were placing a pile of books on the desk, but Rachel wasn't convinced of that.

《...do you like him, by chance?》

When you heard those words the tower you had set up began to wobble dangerously. Luckily, you stopped it before they fell to the ground.

《...of course not, he's still my superior, I'm not interested in him that way and I don't have time to think about this stuff now.》  You replied with a harsher tone than before.

Anyway, the caramel woman was suspicious of your answer, it seemed you weren't good at lying; however, she said nothing about it, maybe because her attention was elsewhere too, lately...she wasn't sure, but definitely enjoyed receiving Nick's attention.

《I'm going to make some photocopies, I'll be right back.》  Then, you said walking out the door with some papers tight to your chest, without Rachel saying anything about it. You wanted to stop that conversation, anyway.

You walked through that ancient gallery, surrounded by tall columns and immersed in that mystical atmosphere, almost impossible not to admire. Despite the unbearable heat, the sun reflected on all surfaces making that spectacle more wonderful.

Well, it's a real shame this place had become a military camp...

But you weren't the only one there and, not far from you, you saw Nick walking from the opposite direction. He appeared to be on hiatus and was dressed casually.
He hadn't seen you and you stood staring at him behind a column, curious to know which way he was going...and you widened your eyes when saw him heading towards Rachel's office.

Oh, they have to talk about something...right?

But you didn't know what a field officer should talk to a soldier about and started giggling, as you thought the reason was another one.

《What are ya doing there?》

Suddenly, someone asked behind you making you turn around.

Compared to last night, Jason seemed to be in his usual mood now and spied on you under the visor of the cap.

Apparently, he hadn't seen his friend.

《I was getting some fresh air.》  You said vaguely not knowing if it was right to tell the truth.

Fresh? It's hot as always...》  He replied raising an eyebrow.  《Anyway, you shouldn't be here alone, what if we get attacked?》

《I hope not, I have to convert these documents into files, another briefing will be held soon and I have to prepare everything, I don't have time for other things!》  You sighed anyway, you didn't remember coming there to be a secretary of that woman...