❷⓿_Outcome

You didn't stop fighting. Just then, the end of the solar eclipse was another unpleasant surprise for those creatures and when the sun's bright rays finally touched them, their black skin began to burn under your eyes, along with their stifling growls of pain; some of them tried to fly away, interrupting the hunt to return into the depths of the underground, but they were stopped by the fire, which immediately flared up on their wings and the rest of their horrifying body. Until just their ashes remained scattered on the desert soil.

This time, it was over. And for real.

The house was half-destroyed and you just wanted to rest against a wall for a second, but you didn't, not when your eyes noticed a body lying on the floor and not very far from you...

And your heart stopped when you saw Jason.

Without thinking about anything else, you rushed to kneel beside him and with your hands on his chest to try to wake him up.

《I-if it's a joke it's not funny...!》  But unfortunately it wasn't and right there, you didn't feel any air coming out of his nose or mouth.

《No no no no wake up marine, come on!》  You screamed as you held his dirty and scratched cheeks inside your warm palms, trying to give him mouth-to-mouth breathing just then...but even after you were out of breath, nothing happened, as his eyes were stayed closed.

《JASON!!!》  Your panicked screams caught Nick and Salim's attention and despite the sergeant's request to move away, you just stood there, waiting for Jason to open his eyes again...

Just a few minutes ago, you had seen him push the creature away from you when had tried to attack you on the ground and with no more flares in hand. So, you weren't able to see the fight, but you were sure that Jason's condition was the result of it, as well as of your mistakes. If you had responded correctly to the vampire's counterattack, instead of falling to the floor, Jason wouldn't have been forced to run to your rescue...

And you clenched your fists nervously because of that and stopped thinking when Nick shook his head, in an attempt to keep his own pain suppressed when he was forced to announce the bad news.

《...there's no more heartbeat. I'm sorry Y/n, but Jason...he is...》

You collapsed into a low cry, without him being able to finish the sentence. Meanwhile, Rachel and Eric were left petrified, they just couldn't believe that First Lieutenant Kolchek was really dead. But Nick's words and your sudden reaction made them realize it was all true; Eric just complained to himself, shaking his head at the same time as Rachel sat down with her fingers pressed against the temples.

Knowing that comforting words would be useless now, Salim stood silently behind you, looking with a pained expression on the same man who had pulled him out of that hell, despite all the differences that split them and all those attempts to make them enemies...but fortunately, they were unsuccessful and Salim really wanted to enjoy this unique moment with him, before separating from each other.

[May your soul rest in peace, warrior.] He prayed softly in his own language.

Without saying any word, you just wrapped his motionless body in your arms as much as you could, with your forehead below his chin and without your tears ceasing to flow down your cheeks.

《S-stay with me, Jason...》  You sobbed in the hollow of his neck, where you could still perceive his smell and although it was mixed with the dust, you still liked it. Definitely, you didn't want to accept this, not after everything you two have been through together...not after he confessed his feelings for you and not after there were still things you hadn't said yet.