❶❷_Lost Innocence

On the way back to the temple, Jason and Nick hadn't talked to each other all the time, except for some nods; you separated them, so you avoided them arguing again, but you still couldn't get them to talk about anything else that could distract their minds...

Anyway, you tried it when you found a piece of stone on the ground, curiously decorated with a black frame; on its surface, there was a clear picture of two men, probably priests, watching a third figure stirring in the flames, almost as if it were a death sentence...

《Oh that's a nice picture to hang on the house wall!》  You said jokingly, stopping them to show the picture  《It gives me a feeling of warmth, don't you think so too?》

You turned your gaze on one and then on the other, waiting for them to start a conversation...

Well, Nick looked at it absently while Jason raised an eyebrow, clearly perplexed.

《Seriously Y/n, why you keep picking up trash like that?》

Of course, Jason didn't understand your intentions and you sighed before leaving the stone picture somewhere; of all the illustrations you had seen, this was the first one you had seen depicting a violent scene and, suddenly, something started to rumble in your head.

In any case, you ignored that strange feeling also to avoid alarming others.

Maybe, it's just my imagination.

At the temple, the situation seemed to be the same as before, or so it seemed...as Nick went to check how Merwin was doing, you and Jason headed for the tent, where you should have found Eric grappling with the creature's corpse. And Salim, still held as a prisoner.

But you two were almost shocked by what you saw in there.

《What happened here, Colonel?》

Jason asked at Eric, who in the meantime had his eyes wide open, as if he hadn't immediately noticed your presence.

《I don't know...I was using the UV lamp for further inspection...when the body caught fire...》  Eric was still looking at the charred remains of the creature, just like you now, who had approached for a better look.

《Of course sir, these creatures fear the sunlight.》  You added by getting a look from both Eric and Jason, discovering that you already knew such an important detail.

《What? Why didn't you say that earlier, I could have avoided that–》  Suddenly, Eric remembered the Iraqi soldier's warning not to use the UV lamp and said nothing more.

But you cast a displeased look.

《Well, I'd have done it, if you'd told me about the UV lamp when we were still at the base. Was or wasn't my work to check any equipment to carry for the mission, sir?》

Colonel King had decided to bring it because it would have been useful for looking for chemical weapons, but it was a valuable object and he had no intention of sharing it with a group of soldiers, but he had definitely forgotten to tell you...

Well, nothing serious no? Not for him, at least.

《Yes but, as the leader of the expedition, do I really need to do that?》  Then, Eric took a step towards you, trapping you between him and the workbench  《And tell me, how can I trust someone who has tried to help our enemy, Miss Hale?》

You parted your lips, you were tired of hearing the same story over and over, but nothing came out of there. You were afraid of making another error that would cost you dearly...but it seemed so difficult to accept such an offense.