❶❸_Double Cross

《...the fuck did I leave my lighter?》

Left alone and waiting for you and Corporal Merwin to come back together, Nick tried to light a cigarette to ease the tensions, but apparently there wasn't the desired effect...in particular, Eric looked at the sergeant suspiciously as he realized that, just before, Rachel had brought a lighter with her, knowing full well that his wife didn't smoke.

Nick didn't seem to care about that anyway, while Jason had his head completely elsewhere, because he hadn't stopped looking at the temple entrance for all the time.

How long had it been? One minute? Two? Well, it seemed too much for him and he would have run right there if that asshole hadn't gotten in the way.

《Tell me what your problem is Colonel, why did you let her go alone knowing what the hell is down here?》  Jason turned to the blond one very frankly, who returned the gaze with a raised eyebrow.

《We're all doing our part here, Lieutenant. I don't understand why you're so worried–》

She's not a soldier, no? You can't treat her as if she were right fuckin' now!》  With the rifle under his arm, Jason took a step towards Eric, who responded in the same way.  《So, stop this silly game or next time I'll do everything my way.》

He was sure Jason knew what he was doing, it was his squad after all, so Nick didn't step in to separate them...he was definitely tired of the colonel's arrogant attitude, anyway.

《Hey! I'm still in command here and you'd better remember your rank...》  But then, King speculated that Kolchek's behavior was of another nature.

《What's wrong Lieutenant, did that girl make you lose sight of your own duty?》  Eric insinuated with a half smile  《...let's be clear, do you think someone like her would tarnish her reputation by sleeping with any marine? Better let it go.》

Jason pretended those words hadn't touched him in the least if he didn't really want to kick his ass...he didn't care about a guy's opinion like him anyway, as he hadn't even been able to save his own marriage, or his wife.

But out of the respect he owed his superior, Kolchek cleverly decided not to reply that way...but inside him, he strongly believed that wouldn't make the same mistake with you.

And to be honest, he wasn't just any marine at all, he thought with narrow eyes, as he remembered how many times you had smiled, and blushed unconditionally, with him and just with him.

But soon, all three were taken aback by the sound of sudden, creeping footsteps.

《I see you want to keep the fun all to yourself here, huh?》  There, Corporal Merwin appeared before them just like a ghost, opening his arms in the air in front of those bewildered faces.

《—what the fuck Lazarus!》  Nick protested as he walked towards him, none of them had noticed his arrival.

《Eh! Back from the dead, baby!》

Anyway, his cheering tone wasn't shared by the rest of the group, who looked extremely confused.

《Wait a moment, how did you get here?》  Eric raised a hand noticing that the corporal was alone.  《And where is Miss Hale?》

《Oh is the princess here too? That's a shame I haven't seen her for all this time, I'd have asked her to take care of me ahah!》  Merwin laughed at his own joke without noticing the strange silence of the others.

Jason's heart pounded relentlessly in his chest when he didn't see you there, it was possible that you and Merwin didn't meet each other inside the temple?? No, there was definitely something wrong and he intended to find out what it was...