❶❹_At Any Cost

Every second that passed became more and more precious, both for you and for the Iraqi Lieutenant. In his mind, Salim already knew how hateful Dar could become with his patriotic ideals, but also how extremely dangerously he could be, just like now.

Although he had his palms empty, he still had the metal stake behind his back, but that was definitely the wrong weapon for that kind of situation...he had to think of something else in order to calm his friend, until he saw Dar lower the rifle.

[I'm willing to forgive you Salim...if you kill her in front of me.] Suddenly, Dar bent down to pick up Salim's gun and hand it to him.

You couldn't clearly understand what was going on between the two of them until you caught the eye of the black-haired man, who stared at you as if he were asking you to run as far as you could...but the problem was that you couldn't even if you wanted to, because in front of you were the two Iraqis, and a fucking closed door behind you.

You were clearly cornered. With no way to defend or attack.

Dar became impatient to see him motionless, obviously determined not to do anything to you...

[Tsk! As I thought, I have to do it.]

When you saw him walking in your direction, you backed away until your shoulders were against a pillar, in the middle of the room.

Suddenly, he grabbed your neck with some violence, ignoring your futile attempt to break free.

[I'll take care of you later...but now, the little bitch comes first.]

It was useless to hit him, that bastard was definitely bigger than you and you didn't think he would have moved so easily...

But out of the corner of your eye, you saw Salim point the gun at Dar's back.

[I'm sorry, but I won't let you do such a thing. Not again.]

At the sound of those words, the other started to laugh and squeeze his fingers, making you cough inevitably...if he continued like that, you were sure he would choke you for real.

[That's nonsense! There must be no mercy for people like them! This is our land Lieutenant, we must fight back to free it, in the name of God!]

Although he had known him for many years, once again, Salim didn't think in the same way as he did; he had a son and couldn't allow him to live fatherless because of his crazy ideologies! In any case, he had in mind the decision to leave that life once and for all, without having to point a weapon at the head of another soldier, American or not.

[...we lost the war a long time ago. It's over Dar.]

The anger ran through his veins and Basri didn't turn to look at his comrade, who was proving to be just a coward and focused on staring at your aching face, as you tried to resist against his grip; to prevent you from kicking him, he had pinned you against the pillar with one knee between your legs and because of this forced you to stand on tiptoe, to not suffer further pain around your neck.

And it was there that another idea came to the Iraqi one.

[You know what, Salim? Maybe you're right, there's no need to kill her...] Salim didn't understand immediately and you noticed the sudden change in the bastard's voice, along with a mad grin on his face.

[Now that I get a better look at her, it would be a total waste to leave her here to die...]

He flinched at those words and his reaction didn't promise you anything good. Salim couldn't believe Dar really wanted to do that to a young girl, treating her like a prisoner of war, and his fingers tightened on the gun...seriously, that man had gone out of his mind!