❻_The Beginning of the End

《Coyote Two, this is Mailman Two-One Actual. We are on approach and ready to go dark. Over.》

On the other side, First Lieutenant Kolchek received an answer from the operator before closing the call; fortunately, Colonel King had accepted the idea of ​​asking for help from air support if it was needed.

When Jason took his fingers off the radio, he accidentally caught your eye and noticed that you were already staring at him.

《How's the tour going?》  He asked as he leaned forward resting the elbows on his knees.

《I would say good since I didn't pay anything for that.》  You answered ironically without letting him read your expression behind the sunglasses.

《My team will get off first. We need to make sure there's no danger before proceeding.》  Jason explained that you, Rachel, Eric and Clarice would have to wait before getting off the helicopter.

《I see, be careful over there.》  You said when he finished speaking and Jason cracked a smile.

《Sure I will. Don't worry, Miss Marshal.》

Despite that, you couldn't help but be a little tense.
But suddenly, an arm stretched out beside you with a small box in hand.

《Want a gum?》  Clarice asked turning to you, but you refused.

《No thanks. I don't like this stuff very much.》  The brunette girl shrugged and put the box back in her pocket.

But when you looked at her, you noticed instead the colonel was fixing what looked like a wooden prosthesis...you didn't know what he had been through, but perhaps the others were wrong to judge him right away.

Soon, the air inside the helicopter began to heat up thanks to Nathan and Joey's sexual jokes and they seemed good at relieving tension, until Rachel stopped them.

《You two wanna cut the bullshit and focus on the mission?》

Anyway, Merwin didn't take that well.

《Hey! Only one place I let a woman boss me around like that alright? And that's between the sheets.》

You really didn't understand how the others could handle him all day; apparently, the corporal seemed to have clear ideas about women and they weren't very good...

But Merwin's satisfied smile faded as Rachel's reply went out.

《...I'm surprised your mom lets women into your bedroom, don't want her getting jealous now.》

Not only Joey, but you started giggling too...in a way, you expected such an answer from her.
Because of that, you squeezed your eyes and when you opened them again, you saw Jason staring intently at you before speaking to Nick.

Well, you thought you did something wrong...but the truth was that Jason really liked your smile and had been staring at it the whole time, until he realized his friend wasn't answering him on the radio and went to check; anyway, when he sat down again, he was surprised to see you silent and with an almost sad expression on your face.

The others were too busy chatting to each other to notice the two of you.

《Hey, what's happening to you again...》  Jason did the same thing as before, but this time his palm touched your right knee. You weren't expecting that sudden contact, but it gave you relief, in a way.

《Uhm nothing, I just thought the jokes sucked after all.》

Still, Jason didn't believe it as he had seen you laugh out loud, but he didn't investigate further, you were probably just immersed in your own thoughts, and sat down in a composed manner; in that moment, you turned back to the window and just now realized that place was the same everywhere; rocks and sand were the main elements and there was literally nothing moving beneath you...