❽_Splits and Alliances

Somewhere else in those dungeons, Jason and Nick were also running away from something, as they dragged a seriously injured Corporal Merwin with them.

No matter how many bullets they fired, that strange entity kept chasing them...

Several times he had asked them to leave him behind, but Jason had promised he wouldn't leave anyone behind as long as he still had breath.

Just then, a call from the radio caught the attention of the marines.

《...that's Rachel!》  Nick looked over at Jason, clearly worried about her; the first lieutenant answered her call for help, but got no more response.

However, the signal indicated that her position wasn't very far from theirs and so they resumed running, hoping to meet with the whole group...
But when they reached a cave with a deep cliff, the only person they encountered was Colonel King.

《What happened to Rachel?》  Nick asked after joining him, now in despair.

《We...we were ambushed by the enemy...he opened fire on us and...Rach...she fell.》  Eric headed for the cliff as he staggered back and forth, shocked at what he had just done.

Eric had cut the rope that tied him to Rachel to avoid falling with her...Nick tried to call her name in vain, because no voice came out of there.

But they didn't have time to stop and cry, as something else was approaching them and they absolutely had to keep going.

《We need to fall back. Now!》  Jason screamed and so the group of four men withdrew inside a temple.

Although the situation had calmed down, they couldn't rest at all; as for the injured one, Merwin was leaning against the wall adjacent to the main door, which they decided to close to avoid being vulnerable.

《Slow down. He could still be here.》  Of course, Eric was referring to the Iraqi enemy, but Lieutenant Kolchek was forced to reply that was the least of their worries, thus capturing Colonel's attention.

《You believe in God, sir?》  When Jason asked for that, Eric denied it.

《Absolutely not.》

《Well, start believing. We are under attack by...I don't know what, you wouldn't believe me even if I tried.》  When he told that, Jason still had an incredulous expression on his face.  《Hell...I don't believe it and I was here.》

There, Eric couldn't help but notice that he was distracted, as if he had something in his head he couldn't get rid of...

《Lieutenant. May I ask what happened to Officer Hale? I remember seeing her with you during the Iraqi attack...》

Again, the marine's certainties broke when he heard your name, in front of that sudden question.

《Don't know, it's since we sunk down here that I can't get in touch with her.》

Jason seemed to have lost something important...still, Eric King ignored that feeling, as there was much more to think about in that moment.

《I see. You're obviously confused, but you cannot allow yourself to be affected by it...what if she were–》

But suddenly, Jason took a step toward Eric, interrupting his speech.

《Y/n isn't dead. Not yet.》

In that moment, Nick was distracted by that immense view, but not enough not to hear his friend's words, which left Eric speechless.

《I saw what happened to Rachel and she didn't make it, how can you think an academy girl like her could have survived alone? That's bullshit Lieutenant, she's not even a soldier!》  Eric raised his voice suddenly, clearly annoyed by Jason's manners.