❶❺_Burying the Hatchet

Again, Jason couldn't believe his day would turn out like this...fighting monsters in the middle of the desert and getting used to your timely kisses were definitely the last things he expected right now...

Of course, he was enjoying the second one much more, but the First Lieutenant had to regain control of the situation, despite the excitement hadn't subsided yet and both of you were immersed in an awkward silence, while you walked through the catacombs, side by side.

Just now, your hands gripped the gun tightly, but your fingers hadn't forgotten how they had caressed the facial features of the man next to you, exploring his rough chin, cheeks, even his small dimples and Jason did nothing but let you touch him, while he took care of your mouth, sucking your lips with his own so eagerly; but now, there was his fucking rifle in place of your body and just thinking about your pretty waist made him bite his lower lip so badly.

《Uhm, did you say something?》  You asked turning to him; apparently, Jason let out a brief gasp without noticing.

《...nothing really.》  There, he raised his right forearm to put a fist in front of his mouth and fake a short cough.  《It's this fuckin' dust. Just that...nothing really.》

Well, if Nick had been there, he would have known right away that his friend was lying, due to his tendency to repeat the same thing twice, but you just nodded; he wasn't all wrong and you were sure you had eaten a lot of that since you were down there...

You wondered how long it had been since all this mess started.

《Do you know what time is it, by chance?》

Immediately, Jason looked down at his wristwatch, which still seemed to work.

《Mmm, do you really want to know that?》  He snorted amusedly before giving you the final answer  《It's one o'clock in the morning. Nice crap, huh?》

You stopped abruptly and he did the same, without stopping to stare at your shocked expression. It was early afternoon when you left the base and couldn't believe the hours had passed so quickly! Of course, you had been too busy thinking about surviving...

Inside you, wondered how much longer you could have ignored the thirst, the hunger and the pain on your right leg...and if you could have resisted until the end.

《Hey this is no time for daydreaming, I need ya here!》  Jason shook your shoulder, annoyed that your thoughts had put him aside and so you looked him straight in the eye.

《Sorry, I didn't think it had been so long...》  You tried to smile, hiding the concern behind your words  《So, they will have started looking for us, right?》

There, you waited for Jason's answer, to make sure someone on the surface had deigned to send help, but your hopes collapsed just then when you saw him shake his head.

《When Corporal Merwin tried to fix the radio, a bullet crushed his brain before he knew it...we couldn't transmit any signal because of that.》

You remained silent as you turned the gaze towards a random point inside the corridor, illuminated just by the lantern placed on the wall; at this point, all your certainties began to waver, along with you...immediately, Jason put his left arm around your body when it happened.

《I-I had a moment of dizziness, but now I'm better, really!》  You said quickly and Jason didn't seem very convinced, but he eventually let you go, once he was sure you weren't going to fall in front of him.

Maybe, a little break wouldn't hurt, he thought and didn't notice that your eyes had casually fallen on his tattoo, since he hadn't pulled his arm away from you.