❾_Love in the Ashes

The more you looked around, the more you considered that place wasn't a cave at all. Over the centuries, it had become a mass of rock and sand, but the truth was that there was something unbelievable hidden there...

The walls showed clear illustrations of gods and pictures of a glorious ancient civilization; even Salim didn't imagine that, under the Zagros Mountains, was hiding the temple of Naram-Sin...considered as the "God King" of Akkad, he was cursed by the Gods for daring to sack one of their temples...for his will, this one was built to earn the Gods' forgiveness, until the Gutian Army assaulted the temple...and something else too, but you certainly couldn't have known this.

《In the Sumerian myth...》  Salim began to tell  《...they say the souls of the dead went deep underground to the House of Ashes, where they lived on dust, plagued, by the demons of the underworld...》

That was definitely an interesting story to hear and Salim revealed to you that he discovered it from his son's book, about Mesopotamian myths.

《I guess that's no longer a legend. The temple really exists, just like those creatures...they must be the demons the books speak of...》  You replied as you started studying his words in your mind.

《But I still think there's something wrong...how could they have been here all this time and no one ever noticed them??》

When he heard that, Salim couldn't help but agree with you.

《Maybe, we'll find out when we reach the temple...》

But your thoughts were interrupted by a strange noise that put both of you on alert.

Salim gestured for you to follow him behind a rock; there, you saw one of those monsters approaching the lifeless body of a soldier. That poor man had been lucky to die from the fall, you thought as you watched the scene...

But more than eating him, the monster was drinking him, because you didn't see any drop of blood on the floor.

As I thought, these fucking monsters feed on the blood of the victims!

《...how we go on without getting caught?》  You whispered to the Iraqi Lieutenant, who looked at you with a serious but convinced expression, as if he already knew what he had to do.

《If we want to go through there, we have to kill it.》  Salim said by placing a hand on your shoulder to encourage you.  《We have no other choice, Y/n.》

He was right, but he couldn't think you could fight such a creature with your bare hands! This guy was dangerously more stubborn than you, you thought a little worried...

《Don't worry, I'll do it, but I need you to move into a flanking position and get its attention.》  Salim added by showing you where you would have to go, as he would have taken the opposite direction.

You swallowed as you listened to his plan, but in the end you took courage and moved slowly behind the creature; Salim did the same by circling the giant rock in the center, holding his metal stake in the hands.
You tried not to make any noise with every step you took, until you stopped...

There, not very far from you, you saw a gun.

It must have belonged to the soldier and would certainly have been useful to you, but the difficulty in obtaining it was that it was right next to the monster.

Then, you tried to find Salim with your eyes, but you couldn't and so you had to quickly make a choice; eventually, you slowly reached for the creature's paws to retrieve the weapon on the ground...