INVEST IN LOVE

As a surgical resident, there is literally nothing worse than waking up to a page

As a surgical resident, there is literally nothing worse than waking up to a page. Except this page was my neurosurgeon roommate. I really need my own place.

The banging on my door at 4 A.M. woke me up instantly. I can tell the difference when it comes to the knocking. When Derek literally put all of his weight into his fist against my door at this hour, something is wrong.

I ran to the door and opened it right away. "Who's dying?" I asked groggily and rubbed my eyes.

"Car accident with a pregnant woman. Bad head trauma. I don't know the details but she's going to need a craniotomy. You in?" He rambled.

"Let me get my stuff." I replied, went back into my room and collected my belongings. Whenever there is a last minute brain surgery in the middle of the night, he always asks me. Always. Derek is my mentor. He is the reason I will probably go with neuro as my specialty. But that is also because I haven't had a cardio-god to work with in the longest time.

We carpooled to the hospital. Sometimes, he drives so fast I think he is going to crash the car.

As soon as we got there, we went straight to the O.R. and scrubbed in.  We saw Arizona and Alex working on the baby.

"What's her status?" Derek asked as soon as we stepped foot into the operating room.

"Mom's heart rate and B.P. has been fluctuating, but she's ready for you." Alex replied.

"Alright, let's prep her for a craniotomy." Derek said as soon as he saw the scans. I nodded and prepared the woman. She's so young.

As we were into the surgery, Derek started talking to me. "Who's service are you on this week? I tried to put you on mine but you were taken."

"I am on Arizona's. According to Chief, I need a peds rotation, so I am on it with Avery and Percy." I replied. Joy. Cannot wait to deal with those two after this morning.

"Oh, peds is fun." He chuckled.

Is it? I have not done peds since my intern years. I don't mind it. I love working with Arizona, but I do not know if I will love working with Avery and Percy. Lately, Avery has been tolerable. Percy is the worst.

When the surgery was finished, I went into an on call room and slept for as long as I could. My alarm was going off before I could even blink.

I walked over to the peds unit where Jackson, Owen, Charles, Callie and Arizona already were. Am I late?

"You look-" Percy started with a chuckle but I held up my hand.

"Not a word." I said quickly. I know I look exhausted.

"She's been here since 5 A.M. doing an emergency craniotomy, Charles. Don't speak." Owen stuck up for me. That makes up for him replacing me with Avery for my surgery a few weeks ago.