VALENTINE'S DAY MASSACRE

I hate Valentine's day

Ever since Hunter, I have hated this stupid holiday. Valentine's day with him was a nightmare. I only spent two with him. Two too many. The first one, he roofied me so I would have sex with him. I didn't even know that happened until months after. The second Valentine's day is when he broke up with me. I wasn't even upset he broke up with me. I was upset about the day he did it on. Ever since then, I have just despised the holiday.

I walked through the halls of the hospital and saw Lexie. I had to do a double take. She dyed her hair blonde.

"Lexie-"

"Not a word." She huffed and kept walking. Okay, then.

I went to the front desk where Jackson came up to me.

"Nothing like spending a holiday at work."

"Not a holiday." I muttered and continued to do my charts.

He raised his eyebrows but didn't say anything back.

"And what would you have been doing anyway?" I added, a second later.

He shrugged and thought for a moment before smirking at me. "Well...you." He said.

I rolled my eyes. "In your dreams, Avery."

In mine, actually. He's infiltrated my fucking dreams.

Before any of us could say anything else, Owen came over to us. "I need you two in trauma one right away. Roof at Grandetti's caved in. The E.R. is flooded with injuries."

The thing about being a resident at the time of a mass trauma, whatever bias you have for specialties is thrown out of the window. You get assigned a case and you stay there. It's kinda fun, though.

The patient we were working on lost his arm. Well, it's not lost. It's here. It's just not on his body. I was helping Owen fix the part attached to his body while Jackson dealt with the arm not attached.

"Okay, I need another 4x4. Dress him. I'm gonna take another look at the arm. This wound's completely macerated and contaminated. Why wasn't this guy brought in first?" Owen said to me as he walked over to Jackson.

"He was lying in dirty dish water for a while before they found him." Jackson replied.

"They forgot I was back there." The man on the bed muttered. His name is Frankie.

"No, I'm sure-" I tried to assure him but he cut me off.

"It's alright. I'm not...I'm not too big on talking to people, and nobody talks to me much back there. They just, you know, bring me the dishes." He paused to take a breath. "I lost my arm. I don't want to have one arm. I don't want to be a freak. I don't like people staring at me." He told me honestly. My heart broke for him.