WALKING ON A DREAM

Today is a good day

Today is a good day. Derek is back in the saddle which means I can start operating on hearts again. Starting today.

I had to fight Cristina on this one but I pulled the premie baby card and she backed down. Do I feel bad that I went there? Absolutely. But, I want to operate on a heart so bad and it's been so long. You have to do what you have to do.

The morning started with a meeting in the lobby with Owen. He has something he needs to tell us.

"Okay, folks. Let's just start. As many of you know, Seattle Grace Mercy West has suffered a financial setback. The administration is working hard to keep the impact of that setback as small as possible. To that end, we're gonna have to initiate some cost-cutting measures. The board has hired a Physician Advisor to help." He spoke.

Apparently, the insurance company won't supplement the money for our lawsuits so the hospital has to hand us a check. I wish I felt bad about that, but I don't. I can't. I almost died due to this hospital not fact checking airplane manufacturers.

"What's a Physician Advisor?" Meredith asked.

"Well, she consults on maximizing efficiency, streamlining processes, assessing where we can trim our budgets." Owen answered.

No one is amused. Bailey especially. "Who to fire and when to fire them?" Bailey muttered.

Owen cleared his throat. "She is here to advise and help. I was hoping to introduce her in person, but she seems to be late."

"Oh, on her first day? Not very efficient." Cristina pointed out. We all chuckled.

"You can expect to see her in the halls, in your labs, in the O.R." Owen ignored Cristina and said.

"So we're going to have an accountant following us around in the O.R.'s?" Derek asked.

"She's not an accountant. She is a trained surgeon. Frankly, she is here to try to help us." Owen replied. Hmm. "Thank you for your cooperation." He said and walked off.

After that shit-show, Jackson and I went to visit Ally in the NICU.

I leaned into her little bed and whispered, "Mama gets to work on a heart today."

I heard Jackson chuckle behind me. I love neuro, but I have been waiting for this moment for a long time. I've had enough of shunts.

Another plus of this operation is the fact it's one of the kids from Alex's Africa exchange program.

I met up with Alex and Arizona before heading into the kid's room. Arizona looked at me with a smile. "This isn't brain surgery. Are you ready for something like this? I know it's been a while."

"I have been dreaming of this moment since I took over Derek's service. I am so ready." I assured her with a smile. With that, we walked in and I started to look at the scans.