MOMENT OF TRUTH

The moment I have been waiting for since I was an intern

The moment I have been waiting for since I was an intern. Since I was in med school, at that. The moment where all of the blood, tears, and countless hours count toward something bigger. Bigger than any of us could imagine. The oral boards.

And I cannot stop vomiting. The first thing I did this morning when I woke up is vomit. This has been happening to me for the last week. I just marked it off as nerves. I just feel so nauseous. But I can't miss this.

Teddy is currently giving Cristina and I a pep talk. While everyone is doing one oral board segment, I have to do two. No wonder why I'm so nauseous.

"Okay, don't overthink it. They want standard protocol, not cutting edge. I mean, this is a test in proficiency and you're both proficient in your sleep, so just make sure that you get a lot of sleep." Teddy rambled.

"You want me to be relaxed, right?" Cristina asked.

"Exactly."

"This isn't helping."

Teddy looked at me. "Are you feeling any better?"

"No." I deadpanned.

"Drink your fluids." She reminded me as if I'm not a doctor.

Derek then came over to me and pulled me away from Teddy.

"You know what you're doing. You've done every possible procedure they could ask you about. Hell, you even did a telephone tumor that lasted over 24 hours. You got this." He assured me.

"I know." I replied. I'm assuring myself at this rate.

"Call me if you need anything." He replied and walked away.

The moment I have been waiting for has finally arrived. Everything changes after this, no matter the outcome.

With that, I boarded the van that would take us to the airport with Jackson by my side.

The plane ride to San Francisco was short and we arrived at the hotel for check in. April has already made a fool out of herself and we've been here all of five minutes.

"How do you do that? You've been here like two minutes." Alex laughs.

"My examiner is gonna hate me, too, instantly." April huffed.

"Don't psych yourself out." Cristina said.

"One in five people fail the boards." April replied.

"Fine. Psych yourself out." Cristina retorted.

"It's just a test. We've all dealt with worse. No one's bleeding out on your table. We will be fine." Jackson assured and then looked to me. I still feel disgusting. "Are you sure you're okay?"

No. I feel it coming on again.

"I have to go." I let out and ran to the bathroom. As soon as I made it to a stall I hurled the airport bagel that I ate. What the hell is going on? Why am I throwing up so much?