LOVE, LOSS AND LEGACY

Jackson is terrified

Jackson is terrified. His mom is coming into town for a surgery at the hospital and I am going to meet her for the first time. He asked me first if I could go out of town and when I told him he was being ridiculous he just kept saying, "You don't know Catherine Avery."

He lucked out because he doesn't have any parents of mine to meet. He hasn't met my sister yet but she's always busy with work.

Him on the other hand, he has medically famous relatives I somehow need to impress. I am very nervous to meet his mom. He keeps telling me she'll love me and he has talked so highly of me to her but that doesn't really make me feel better.

We filed into the auditorium and I sat next to Jackson. My leg will not stop bouncing up and down. He set his hand on it and looked at me.

"Stop worrying. She'll love you."

I sighed. "Jackson, I love you but everything you have told me about her contradicts itself."

He let out a deep breath. "I know. She's just...protective. But when she meets you, she'll love you. I wouldn't lie to you."

I am still terrified.

Meredith, Cristina and Alex sat down in front of me. They were all huffing about the lecture.

"One more hour of sleep, that's what it is." Alex spoke.

"Oh, no. It's not gonna be boring. This is Jackson's mother, Catherine Avery." April spoke.

"She's a urologist, right?" Meredith asked.

"Yeah, I met her when I was an intern at Mercy West. She's amazing." April said in awe.

"She is a lunatic." Jackson muttered.

"No, she's not. She's brilliant. She says these things that shock you, but then when you think about them later, they change your whole life." April spoke.

"Or they ruin your whole life. She's toxic. She's a meddler. My mom has no boundaries. Be warned." Jackson said.

Cristina looked at me, "How do you feel about meeting mommy-dearest?"

"I'm terrified." I said, looking at the stage.

"It'll be okay. Hypercritical surgeons are nitpicky so don't take anything she says to heart." Meredith shrugged.

That made me feel worse. "Thanks."

"You'll be fine. She'll love you." April assured me.

"Wait, how often do you talk to my mom?" Jackson asked her.

"We're Facebook friends." April shrugged. April is facebook friends with Catherine Avery and I have never even said hello to her.

"With my mom?" Jackson questioned.