DISARM

You know that feeling when everything is slowly falling into place? The pieces of your life are like some impossible puzzle and nothing makes sense

You know that feeling when everything is slowly falling into place? The pieces of your life are like some impossible puzzle and nothing makes sense...until it does? Staring at Jackson, the only thing I can think of is how everything is starting to make sense. My purpose on this earth, who I am supposed to love...every piece is coming into play.

The feeling of his hands roaming my skin is a feeling I will never get tired of. Him devoting himself to me in every way imaginable is euphoric. It makes me fulfilled that I can do the same for him. I am really starting to love him. We haven't said it yet, but with him, I feel whole. I feel content.

But then there's that dreaded feeling that it will all go away. That I'll ruin it. Ruin us. It has happened before. Who's to say it will not happen again? I try to force myself not to think about that but I can't help it.

We finally had sex for the first time the other day. I wish I was being dramatic when I say it was the best sex of my life. I have had sex with a lot of people, but that...that...it has never been anything like that. He is just perfect all around.

Cristina quit. I don't know why. She just told us she needed to. I don't blame her, but I know it is a huge mistake. Cristina Yang is a surgeon through and through.

Anyway, we made our way to the hospital and as soon as we walked through those doors, we got a page. Nothing could have prepared me for this page.

We all gathered in the lobby watching the TV. Jackson held on to me for dear life. I was holding on to him tighter. Lexie was crying in Mark's arms. April was crying, too.

A gunman opened fire at a local college. There are at least 20 victims. We're the closest hospital.

"Are you gonna be okay?" Jackson whispered to me.

I need to be okay because there are people coming in that won't be. They need me to be okay to save them.

"Yeah. Are you?" I asked him.

He just nodded softly.

We all geared up in the yellow gowns and made our way to the ambulance bay.

"There are 15 ambulances on the way. Maybe more to come. First one is three minutes out." Owen have us the rundown. I was holding back my tears.

Webber turned to face us. "People...our own trauma is fresh and we are going to have feelings today and there is no shame in that. What I want to say is, what we through six months ago, they are going through right now, which makes them our brothers and sisters...which makes them fellow travelers, which makes them our own. So to the very best of our ability, we are gonna do our work first and you're gonna have your feelings later."

Work now, feelings later. I can do this. I'm strong. I'm alive.

The ambulances were starting to pull up now. First was a cop. The one who shot the shooter down.