FLIGHT

I have always been a fighter

I have always been a fighter. When things get hard, I do not run. I face it.

Two weeks after my parents died, I became an intern at Seattle Grace. One of the hardest things I have had to face while grieving and I did it. I will forever remember the speech Dr. Webber gave on my first day. When times get tough, that's what I go to. Every time my life flashes before my eyes, I think of this speech.

"A month ago you were in med school being taught by doctors. Today, you are the doctors. The seven years you spend here as a surgical residents will be the best and worst of your life. You will be pushed to the breaking point. Look around you say hello to your competition. Eight of you will switch to an easier specialty. Five of you will crack under the pressure. Two of you will be asked to leave. This is your starting line. This is your arena. How well you play, that's up to you."

It still repeats in my head on a loop. Even with the birds chirping around me.

"Today, you are the doctors."

Even with the crying.

"The seven years you spend here as a surgical resident will be the best and worst of your life."

Even with the screaming.

"You will be pushed to the breaking point."

Even with the unbearable pain.

"Eight of you will switch to an easier specialty. Five of you will crack under the pressure. Two of you will be asked to leave."

Even with the loss and confusion.

"This is your starting line. This is your arena. How well you play, that's up to you."

With the salt and earth around me, I think of the speech that made my career. The very thing that led me to this point.

What is this point? What do I learn from this?

"Florence! Florence, wake up!"

Is this in my head? Who is speaking to me?

I turned my head to see the leaves I am laying on. Leaves? I thought I was in the clouds.

I turned my head the other way to see Meredith staring up at the sky. The thing we are supposed to be in right now.

I rolled on my back to see Cristina's frantic eyes, screaming for me. "Florence! Get up! You have to get up now!"

It all sounds like an echo...but I can see her. Right there.

And then I hear the screams. The gut wrenching screams.

"Florence! Come on!" Cristina begs one last time.

I slowly sat up and felt the sharp pain in my head. I looked around to see pieces of metal in my view. The propeller on fire. Mark stumbling around. Cristina with blood on the side of her face. Arizona screaming at the air. She's screaming so loud I can't even think.