HAVE YOU SEEN ME LATELY

Derek paged me first thing this morning to the scan room

Derek paged me first thing this morning to the scan room. When I walked in to the scan room to see two Shepherd's instead of one, my head started spinning. Lexie was already here. Amelia Shepherd has brought yet another tumor to us.

"Florence Hana! It's good to see you again!" She spoke when I walked in the room and engulfed me in a hug. Someone's touchy this time. I don't mind. I liked her.

"Amelia! What brings you back to Seattle?" I asked her as I reciprocated. Her and I texted a couple times since the last time I have seen her. Not a lot.

"An inoperable tumor." Derek huffed.

I looked at the board to see what he was talking about.

"You haven't even looked!" Amelia exclaimed when Derek turned it down. Lexie and I's eyes just shifted back and forth between the bickering siblings.

"Amy, I am telling you, it is unresectable. Let it go." Derek replied.

"I came all the way from L.A. to show you this. You could spend more than 30 seconds." Amelia replied.

"I am looking right at it. It's a gliosarcoma that has invaded the carotid artery. You try and remove it and she will stroke out." Derek huffed.

"Stop being such a jackass!" Amelia yelled.

"Wow." Lexie let out. All of our eyes snapped to her. "I'm-she called- she called you a jackass."

"Dr. Grey, Dr. Hana, excuse us." Derek told us. We both went to walk away but Amelia stopped us.

"Dr. Grey, Dr. Hana, stay here. I need backup." Amelia told us. We stayed put.

"Fine." Derek spoke and shifted his eyes between Amelia and us. "You just got out of rehab. I want to get you on your feet, but you can't help her."

Amelia took a deep breath and put a picture up. This time of a little boy. "Look at his face. His name is Mason. This gliosarcoma belongs to his mother, Erica. He's a great kid. I don't know him that well, but he seems great. I do know his dad well. His name is Cooper, and he works with me and he is a good guy. He is a good dad, which means he is the one who is gonna have to tell Mason that his mom is dead, that he doesn't have a mom anymore because we didn't do anything."

"You tell Cooper you're sorry. You tried. Let it go. I have a surgery." Derek muttered and walked out of the room.

Lexie and I shared a look. "You go, I'll stay. It's a shunt, he only needs one of us." I told her. She nodded and took off. I stayed with Amelia.

"Was he like this as a kid?" I asked her and sat in a chair.

"Absolutely. And throughout med school." She paused. "Is he like this all the time?"

I thought back to all of the difficult surgeries he's done. I'm surprised he won't even try. "No. I'm actually surprised at the fact he won't take it. Usually he at least looks at it."