SUDDENLY

We stared at the people laying on the ground

We stared at the people laying on the ground. All of them, lifeless. They weren't moving.

I stayed holding the baby and pumping the oxygen while Alex went to go check on them.

Someone else crawled out of the crashed car. She was younger. A teenager. She approached the woman laying on the ground and shook her. She wasn't moving.

"Mom, mom. Wake up. mom, wake up!" She screamed. She wasn't budging. The crying teenager looked to me. "Help them, please! You have to help! My mom, my dad! The van- and I just stepped in blood." She's hysterical.

"What's your name?" I asked her. There's only one way I can help them. She needs to take the baby.

"Lily."

"Okay, Lily. I need you to calm down and take the baby. Hold the baby." I said to her while staying calm. I'm actually screaming inside my head. I'm a doctor. It's not normal that I feel helpless.

"I don't even babysit. I can't hold a baby." Lily cried.

"Lily, do you want me to help your family or not? Hold the baby." I told her. She reluctantly came closer and I handed the baby to her. "Okay, I need you to squeeze this. One, two, squeeze." I showed her how to use the pump.

"What if I mess up?" She cried.

"You're not gonna mess up, Lily. One, two, squeeze. Count out loud so I can hear you."

"One, two, squeeze. One, two, squeeze." She said and did it correctly.

"No matter what you do, don't stop squeezing." I told her and walked away to tend to the family.

At some point, it stopped raining. I'm not sure when.

I went over to the mother on the ground. "Ma'am , I'm a doctor. Can you hear me?" I asked her. She couldn't.

We used what we had on the ambulance and got the family set up on the side of the road. We got a cooler for Lily to sit on. Alex was running around with supplies.

"You got any tape in there? I have to do an adhesive dressing." I asked him as he handed me a bag.

"Probably. I just grabbed whatever."

"Is my mom okay? Mom!" Lily cried.

"Lily, keep counting." I told her.

"Why isn't she talking?" Lily cried.

"Lily!" I exclaimed.

"How's she doing?" Alex asked me.

"Not good. I may have to intubate. Don't you have to do a pressure dressing?" I asked him.

"I see gray matter. Brains are on the ground." Alex replied. Oh, god. This is not good. One is definitely dead.

"That's my nana!" Lily yelled.